Register free!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

nimblewill

What do you do when you have a bermuda lawn with about 10 percent nimblewill in it and total kill is not an option?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

kneel and pray. round up on bigger spots.

tenacity will work, but it isn't registered for anything but golf courses right now.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know this idea sucks.... but... it is a grassy weed that spreads with very shallow runners. The stuff hand pulls really easy. I've found that weekly hand pulling at my accounts just a few minutes every week has just about eradicated it. A big infestation... if it's ALL nimblewill.... then I might go for a total kill, but my issues have been with smallish patches mixed in with viable turf.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Haven't that I can recall this year, but... If I'm not mistaken I have killed it with a combination of MSMA/Sencor75DF. The combination of the 2 works excellent on a multitude of other grassy weeds also (Use in Bermuda Only)

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 08-30-2008, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Haven't that I can recall this year, but... If I'm not mistaken I have killed it with a combination of MSMA/Sencor75DF. The combination of the 2 works excellent on a multitude of other grassy weeds also (Use in Bermuda Only)

I am not aware of anything that will work on rye-fescue-KGB for nimble will.... only hand pulling..... anyone know of a control for this weed in cool season grasses? I could certainly use that info....
Old 08-30-2008, 04:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
I am not aware of anything that will work on rye-fescue-KGB for nimble will.... only hand pulling..... anyone know of a control for this weed in cool season grasses? I could certainly use that info....
I spoke with the reps from Syngenta this past spring. They are considering getting Tenacity(mesotrione) registered for commercial and residential turf. My guess is they will wait until MSMA is banned. Then the market is theirs. Those chicken***** are also sitting on Monument. It is a sulfonylurea herbicide like Sedgehammer, but it is much more broad spectrum, controlling many grassy and broadleaf weeds. It is not registered for residential turf, even though it compares to Sedgehammer in terms of health and environmental concerns.