Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2010, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the entire Water Feature above grade as it appears in your diagram? Is the cultured stone being used over the block wall a veneer or small stack stone?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Is the entire Water Feature above grade as it appears in your diagram? Is the cultured stone being used over the block wall a veneer or small stack stone?
Actually that would be the bottom pond with a waterfall and stream above the wall. The bottom pond is 2' deep with the top 8" - 12' above grade. The wall will be veneered with a cultured stone as will the wall that is above grade on the bottom pond.
Thanks David
Old 01-31-2010, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You will most likely find that the easiest and safest way to construct this will be to run the liner under and behind the wall that will support the waterfall. (You can't run the liner behind the veneer because the liner will not support the weight of the veneer and will stretch and possibly tear.) One other possibility is to seal the veneer facing with Clear Koi Cote, Pond Armor or similar pond coating. This will affect the aesthetics as the coating will dry to a glossy finish. I would use the first option as that would be 100% leak-proof.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wall Waterfall

Sorta like this, but not as crudely done.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. The only thing is I got to pour a concrete footing for the wall. What I didn't make clear is the wall is part of a 47' long retaining wall with the waterfall and stream bed apilling over the wall into the pond below.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You have not indicated the height of the retaining wall. If it is not over 4 feet, the liner can be place to run between the footing and the first race of block. The biggest problem that I foresee is any mortared area being in constant contact with water. In my experience, mortar always degrades over time if it is in constant contact. Sealing may be the best answer after all. Size and setting of the waterfall weir can greatly reduce any water infiltration. (See photos). Any splash can be mitigated by strategic placement of rocks in the pond to direct the splash away from the wall.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Tadpole those are some nice pics of your work. The second pic is kinda what i am looking for. I'm going by tomorrow and take some pics if the rain will hold out long enough and then maybe you can get a better idea of what I am talking about. Thanks again for all the info.
David
Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i'm sorry to post this without an invite but, i do alot of pool leak detection and would be happy to advise anyone on the forum about non envasive leak tips.

i can be reached by PM then i'll be happy to join the thread for discussion.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark2037 View Post
Tadpole those are some nice pics of your work. The second pic is kinda what i am looking for. I'm going by tomorrow and take some pics if the rain will hold out long enough and then maybe you can get a better idea of what I am talking about. Thanks again for all the info.
David
Name:  100_2757.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  100_2759.jpg
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  100_2760.jpg
Size:  71.6 KB

Here are the pics of the job. The customers want to tear down the waterfall and redo with a new waterfall/stream down and spill over a stacked stone(veneered) retaining wall. Wall should be approximately 3' tall in the front. Then fill in the old concrete pond and build a 15'L x 12'W x 3'D rectangle pond in place of the one here. The biggest question as i stated earlier is how to attach my liner to the concrete block walls that i will have to build to make the new pond. The new pond will be approx 12" inches above grade with a veneer on it also and a cap.
Thanks David
Old 02-05-2010, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The fact that the max. height for the retaining wall will be only 3 feet plus the fact that the remaining perimeter of the pond will be a 1 foot wall, you could use what i call the TUCK method (See diagram). This is definitely leak proof. The problem with this method is the inevitable folds that occur in liner. These folds will affect the alignment of the block, but not so much as will be noticeable especially since you will be applying the stone veneer.

It looks like a good part of your time will be dismantling 'Stone Mountain'.

Those are NOT pictures of any of my projects. I got them off the web to help determine what you were planning.
Attached Images