Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2002, 12:06 AM
Millenium Member

Mobile Office

Finally got a chance to get a photo of my mobile office. I have my laptop mounted with a <a href="http://www.gamberjohnson.com">Gamber Johnson Mount</a> which I got from PJ. I have Lawn Monkey installed and have a wireless LAN card installed. While out working I can invoice, schedule, or whatever, upon arrival at home I hit print and the invoices are sent inside and ready.

Just noticed Motorola has a new <a href="http://www.motorola.com/LMPS/iDEN/products/im1100/im1100.html">wireless modem</a> that requires no cell phone connection, awaiting more info on that little toy.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2002, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Very cool! Just curious, did you clean your truck up for the picture, or is it always that way???
Old 01-29-2002, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have an onboard printer? Are you running off off laptop battery, truck battery or inverter tied to truck battery?
Old 01-29-2002, 12:43 PM
Millenium Member

Actually it was dirty when I took that photo, ran a few errands then washed it. I try to always keep it clean. I print when I get home via the wireless lan when I pull up at the end of the day. I have an inverter, you can see it at the base of the stand, it's blue with a surge protector attached.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ray is just not a real lawn guy, fshrdan. You mean you have to fill a couple of 5 gal buckets to clean your dash off in Nov, so window defrosters will work? And during summer, you just have to bring out the buckets when you have to stick your head out the window to see where you're going?

And Ray, how long will it take me to lift that 'puter, after I break the window? You don't have to reply, gonna look at website. Neat!
Old 01-29-2002, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What about a printer in the truck? They're available too.
Old 01-31-2002, 08:42 PM
Millenium Member

Jim, it has a locking try and I don't leave it in all the time, when I get home and send invoices in, I lock up, then remove the computer.

Contrary to most I'm not that stupid...
Old 03-09-2002, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kirby?

This Wireless LAN thing....how far is the range? And what do you do for estimates on the jobsite? You have the laptop already...why not spit out a professionaly printed estimate on the spot? I'm sure you have your reasons but it keeps me wondering
Old 03-09-2002, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just set up a wireless network for my sister. Got about 200-250 ft before connect issues popped up but is was a wood framed house and a clear day.

Linksys... works well!!!
Old 03-10-2002, 08:43 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Quote:
Originally posted by GroundKprs
Ray is just not a real lawn guy
Well we finally agree on something Jim.

A REAL lawn guy drives a 10-year-old single cab eight-foot box pickup with greedy boards. This is the real lawn guys work truck. He rarely ever uses his work truck for personal usage.

The way the real lawn guy cleans his real work truck (purchased used real cheap from an old man who bought it new and only took it fishing) is to open both doors and use a hand blower to remove the garbage inside.

A truck is not a Lincoln Town Car. It's cheaper to buy a plain work truck and a used $2k town car with 40k loving maintained miles from a widow in SW Florida vs. some new fancy pick up with leather heated seats.