Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2008, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree- thats a little light on the dimension

most all my customers recieve 2 apps of gran dimension .15 @4lbs/k(depending on product)

you might take a look at jdl 13-2-5 w/ dimension

i have also used jdl 18-0-10 .21 dimesion 50% with good results
Old 08-29-2008, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

According to my calculation you are only applying .12 lb of Dimension per acre in each of your two spring aps. Too light, if your growing season starts in April. You could start with Team granular crabgrass control. Inexpensive and no fert at all, lasts about 8 weeks. (Or prodiamine liquid.) Follow up with the 13-2-5 or 13-0-5 Dimension at about 4 pounds per thousand--or .18 lb AI Dimension per acre. If you can use the Dimension about 6 to 8 weeks after the first application, it should stretch your crabgrass protection for several extra weeks. There is no need for excess nitrogen in the fall--chance of leaching is high--you will be fine with .75 pounds of n.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondcoleman View Post
The label on the dimension says a single app in transition zone on high cut turf only requires like .42 # AI so I figured if I split it into two apps of .28 I would have better control. Is that not the case? Thanks!
not the case... 1.88x43.56x.0015 = .1228 #ai/A x (2 apps) = 0.246 lbs of active ingredient per acre, total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
I would do your dimension as apps 1 and 3, not 1 and 2. The idea of the split app is to extend your crabgrass control for as much as possible. Your only getting a few more weeks of control the way your doing it. Even if you have some small plants pop up between apps, they will be small enough that the second app will kill them. Dimension does offer post emergent control as long as the plants are small.

You do need a little more AI than your putting down also for our area. I know it means your really kicking up the nitrogen, but round two can be something with little or no nitrogen, with a focus on broadleaf control. Thats how I do it anyway.

Runner, what are you using for crabgrass control? I'm always open to trying new products that are more cost effective and proven.

I understand that you don't need to do it twice, thats a transition zone thing, but the rate he's putting down and the Dimension product he's using is pretty cost effective, its what most people in my area use.
ok, but with pre-em on RD3 you end up with reseeding problems in the fall. With 2 months and no rain, and less than "half" of your customers on irrigation, fescue will need to be planted. Hydroseeding w/charcoal?

For post-emergent control w/Dimension, you need at least .25#ai/A.

You're better off w/ fert on Rd2 than on Rd1.

excellent post Heritage. For Rd 4, I'd go 1#N w/ 50%.

Dimension 0.21% 18-0-18 50%PCSCU mini-prill is an awesome product, but pricey. You can use it effectively at lower rates, with fewer bags. If this was a 24-0-12 it would be a perfect product. Great for Rd2!

I really like the idea of liquid prodiamine + .25#N + chelated Iron on RD1. Then the product I just mentioned on Rd2.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmarvin4064 View Post
not the case... 1.88x43.56x.0015 = .1228 #ai/A x (2 apps) = 0.246 lbs of active ingredient per acre, total.

ok, but with pre-em on RD3 you end up with reseeding problems in the fall. With 2 months and no rain, and less than "half" of your customers on irrigation, fescue will need to be planted. Hydroseeding w/charcoal?

For post-emergent control w/Dimension, you need at least .25#ai/A.

You're better off w/ fert on Rd2 than on Rd1.

excellent post Heritage. For Rd 4, I'd go 1#N w/ 50%.

Dimension 0.21% 18-0-18 50%PCSCU mini-prill is an awesome product, but pricey. You can use it effectively at lower rates, with fewer bags. If this was a 24-0-12 it would be a perfect product. Great for Rd2!

I really like the idea of liquid prodiamine + .25#N + chelated Iron on RD1. Then the product I just mentioned on Rd2.
When in the world do you overseed? it would be 12-16 weeks before it is time to overseed, plenty of time for the AI to break down.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree most of your N should be put down in the fall. My last round is 46-0-0 soluble. Just make sure you time it for when the grass growth has slowed WAY down or stopped completely. Roots will continue taking it in until ground freezes. Great greenup in the spring but I also agree start off with 0-0-7 1st round. Also, research is showing better results with one heavy round of Pre-emergent versus doing split apps. I like Dimension. Just make sure you get at least .25 lb. ai per acre.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfsurfer View Post
I agree most of your N should be put down in the fall. My last round is 46-0-0 soluble. Just make sure you time it for when the grass growth has slowed WAY down or stopped completely. Roots will continue taking it in until ground freezes. Great greenup in the spring but I also agree start off with 0-0-7 1st round. Also, research is showing better results with one heavy round of Pre-emergent versus doing split apps. I like Dimension. Just make sure you get at least .25 lb. ai per acre.
Hi Turfsurfer,

I just want to make a comment on the Dimension...Not trying to be too critical of you of course...

I find at least here in Jersey, the Dimension just wont last long enough, half life wise, even at heavier rate.

The Barricade for me I found IS fantastic for the single heavy dose, but the trade off is more broadleafs without using a split app of the the Dimension.

I just wanted to mention this.

Happy Fall,

Pete
Old 08-30-2008, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here is some good reading on the subject. Of course the Minnesota Lawn Gods may not be the same as yours. LOL

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...re/DG3338.html
Old 08-30-2008, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

This is basically been our our program for residentials

First two apps are DIMENSION 0.15% 19-0-6 30%PPSCU

Third is MERIT 0.2% 24-0-8 40%PPSCU

Fourth this year we used a 20-1-5 organic based. Normally a 25-5-10 which we will use again next year.

Our last app we use Lesco's Fert/Lime product.

We spray for broadleaf at every app with three-way.

We also use Crosscheck 0-0-7 for flea and tick .Great money maker
Old 08-30-2008, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

double post ....sorry

Last edited by junior091273; 08-30-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: double post
Old 08-30-2008, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
Runner, what are you using for crabgrass control? I'm always open to trying new products that are more cost effective and proven.
I am using Dimension, but I am just using a cheaper fert. carrier (19-0-6, I believe). That is what I meant by a bit more economical. I am using the .15%, and going rather heavy with it, but we are all seeing alot of breakthrough due to the heavy rainfall amounts.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.