Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2002, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Finally finished my catalog!

This is so cool. I am stoked. I finally finished my picture catalog that I've been working on for the last month or two.

You know how it is when you go to a client's house and they say, "what kind of plants would look good here?" And then you answer and they're like, "Huh? What is that? I am sorry. I don't know plants very well." So then you do your best to describe it, etc.

Or do you know how it is what a client just wants you do redesign their landscape but they don't want to have to pay for a professional design to be drawn up?

Well, I finally got tired of all of this. So I created a picture catalog with one page full of pictures for each of the most common plants, trees, etc. we use around here. I created it digitally too so I can alter and reprint as necessary. Then I put each page behind a sheet protector and all of these into a nice folder.

Anyway, now I have this killer portfolio that I can show clients. They'll know instantly what I am talking about because I can say, "I think 3 Nandina 'firepower' would look good over there. Here's what those look like...and I think 1 of these would look good there....."

It has seperate sections for plants and shrubs, trees, deco. grasses, groundcovers, perennials, annuals, rock features and retaining walls.

Just wanted to share my excitement. It looks way cool. Can't wait to use it.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-29-2002, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just FYI, here's a sample of a few of the pages....
http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/Sample1.jpg

Old 01-29-2002, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks nice! Did you use Horticopia for some of the pics?
Old 01-29-2002, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

looks great. im taking a two classes now, where all we do is memorize the genus, specific epithet, common name and scientific name. im going to need a book like that to remember them all .
Old 01-29-2002, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't use horticopia, no. I wish I had one of their CDs, but I don't.

About half of the pictures I took. For instance, the Red Jap. Maples were almost all ones I took. But others, like the pink and red Dogwoods, I snagged from the web in various places.

Old 01-29-2002, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Very good idea!!!!!
Have you thought of maybe marketing them?
Old 01-29-2002, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had entertained the idea of marketing them, yes. But there are two problems;

1) The plants, trees, etc. are more suited to the Northwest and also to my tastes. The catalog is by no means all inclusive, even though there is a good variety. and

2) I don't own the copywrite on about half of the pictures. I took a lot of them from the web in various places and it would be hell trying to get re-print permission for every one.

Old 01-29-2002, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Jim, your pictures are awesome. I had a similar idea that I have recently implemented and has worked with relatively good success and is extremely cheap to do and replicate if you have a CD burner.

What I did was create something very similar to yours and from a CD I have use their description page and copied it to the same page as the picture on a WORD doc. Then put all my work together for a particular job and lets say I have a dozen dfferent plants and trees and burn the work onto CD and show them everything at their house fronm the CD, as long as they have a computer. Each Cd cost about $.30 nowadays and that is it. Easy to do and create and you can leave it with them to look over later, another idea I did on a couple was to include the price right on the page.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea, I often just plain forget the names of shrubs and trees.
Old 01-29-2002, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow Jim! Those are really nice pictures. I wouldn't say that you need Horticopia. You've got nicer stuff than they do. In fact, I'm finding them to be real dorks.

They won't let me use a sample pic on my site and technical data (of even ONE plant) to show customers what kind of info they'll get from me, via Horticopia. But they WILL let me if I buy their newest version of the software, but I have to shell out another $345!! And that's a discounted price!!!

The software really has a difficult time dealing with HP printers - they blame HP. If I was putting together software that includes printing functionality, I'd make it compatible with the largest mfg of printers. But that's just me.

And many of the pictures they have of plants really suck! It's like they were close to their deadline and needed a few pics of certain stuff, and they just took whatever was available.

I have to apologize - Horticopia has provided more than it's share of headaches and I'm taking away from your work to complain about it.

You really have nice pictures. And lots of them. At least for the samples you provided. I was a bit skeptical when I saw the post, but jeez - you need a software person and a database person and you'll be able to beat Horticopia at their own game!!