Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2002, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

pulling trailer w/ jeep??

At the risk of sounding like and looking like a scrub/sped, whatever derogatory term.... can I safely pull a 6'x10' or so flatbed trailer with my '92Jeep 4.0l/6cyl?? (5speed). Will have a 36" wb mower and a 21" mower.
I know a pu would be better, but since I do everything bass akwards... sold truck, not planning on going back into lawn care. Now have Jeep. Thanks guys...did search also, just want to re-affirm.
Old 01-29-2002, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, based on info from one of the other threads (which I'm sure was in your search) I'm going to go out on a limb and say you should be OK with that setup, providing you don't go and load the trailer down r-e-a-l heavy.

Even though it's a small trailer, brakes on the trailer will help the ones on your Jeep last longer.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You did not say what kind of Jeep. I am assuming a Wrangler and not a Cherokee. One thing to be concerned about with a short wheelbase vehicle like a Wrangler is to keep the tongue weight low. Otherwise you will find the front of the truck in the air. I would definately run trailer brakes. (I do for everything) and be sensible. The Jeep can easily handle that load.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 6x10 trailer two days ago I sold it and just bought a 6x12. I have a sonoma with the 4.3 V6 I have no problems as far as power on both trailers. I have brakes on all four wheels on my new trailer. My dad has had two jeep cherokees both with the same 4.0 straight six. He's hooked up my old 6x10 trailer on occaisions, struggles a little but did ok. My advice is to get brakes and keep the trailer as level as possible. Oh ya I carried a 32" scag and 2 21"s. One time I carried a yd 1/2 of bark in the truck and 3 1/2 yds in the trailer. No brakes either pretty scary.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate the input. Will use the advice. Hope to get a different truck as soon as I see how this "venture" goes. Doing it parttime for now...thanks again