Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
Thanks for the link. Wiki describes our soil here to a "T". It even mentions using gypsum which I have used in white silica with with good results. Main problem I run into is the way builders do installs. They level the ground to hardpan,remove most of the established trees, build the house, install electric, put in 4 dozen of the same plant species on the foundation, bookend with chinese holly, and put 2 trees symetrically in the front lawn (usually bradfords, maples, or river birches). Then dig a hole, bury construction debris, and then install sod over top of unprepared hardpan. And this is one a million dollar home!
So you have clay soil that goes on forever, and compaction and waterlogged surfaces are a constant struggle. I still say that the aeration and topdressing of a sandy compost is the best bet.

Speaking of gypsum, which I've never tried on my clay for porosity - Does old drywall gypsum board qualify as a recyclable product into the soil?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
So you have clay soil that goes on forever, and compaction and waterlogged surfaces are a constant struggle. I still say that the aeration and topdressing of a sandy compost is the best bet.

Speaking of gypsum, which I've never tried on my clay for porosity - Does old drywall gypsum board qualify as a recyclable product into the soil?
LOL, only to the contractor!
Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
LOL, only to the contractor!
Cool, Now I can live the contractors' dream of recycling old and new building materials. Bury then in the ground and allow the soil to flourish.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Wink

Quote:
Cool, Now I can live the contractors' dream of recycling old and new building materials. Bury then in the ground and allow the soil to flourish.
I hear it's also a good starter for fairy ring! Then you have a disease to get rid of and get paid!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I hear it's also a good starter for fairy ring! Then you have a disease to get rid of and get paid!
Sounds synical, [sp]. I really have never come across a serious fungal disease, let alone something like 'fairy ring', in 25 yrs. I feel cheated as a result.
If drywall gives me a shot at a new challenge - here we go...

Hopefully someone will let me know if there is documented reason not to use drywall on lawns. I have come across a supply of it and am not sure if it should just go to the landfill. The things we do off season...
Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gypsum is typically used for sodic soil reclamation and nutrients. It has little/no impact on physical compaction, and little impact for dispersed soils if there is already sufficient Ca in the soil.

As far as drywall goes, don't know if I would go that route. Lots of different types of drywall .... if you know the brand and can verify via msds, then why not ... but you need some way to pulverize it (with a good mask of course).
Old 04-01-2009, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Wink

Quote:
Sounds synical, [sp]. I really have never come across a serious fungal disease, let alone something like 'fairy ring', in 25 yrs. I feel cheated as a result.
If drywall gives me a shot at a new challenge - here we go...

Hopefully someone will let me know if there is documented reason not to use drywall on lawns. I have come across a supply of it and am not sure if it should just go to the landfill. The things we do off season...
Oh the joys of living in the transition zone (7)! I think we are subject to every lawn disease available (yippee!). But thats okay, they are all organic! From corn gluten to drywall in the same thread. I love this site!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

btw, I just spoke with an expert in the field personally, he said that the salts won't be enough to damage any microfauna substantially. The most effect it may have is cause a slight and temporary imbalance in the food web which makes sense.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I love your signature line.
It's sad that this is even more true in the 21st Cent.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
I love your signature line.
It's sad that this is even more true in the 21st Cent.
...right yeah I found it the other day I thought it was pretty interesting so I used it.