Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-31-2008, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ethanol in our gasoline

Do any of you guys have gasoline with ethanol in it?? Where I am-there are several of the surrounding counties add "no more than 10% ethanol." Is there any negative side effects from using it?? I have heard nothing but negative things about it-and I am wondering why they are adding this sapposed crap to our gasoline??? I had heard that it basically "bonds" to water and can make water in your gas (somehow). I am no mechanic, but my mechanic was really griping about it. He said right now we'll see the effects of the two-cycles and they're going nuts already-later the bigger stuff and eventually even in our vehicles! Is there anyone who knows anything about this?
Old 08-31-2008, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ya we have it here in florida just about every gas station. a sticker on the gas pump by the handle says this...seems to me the gas burns faster and i am making more trips to fill up the mowers and truck...just sucks! now with the hurricane gustav, yahoo was saying gas prices might/will spike to over 5.00 a gallon..totally sucks!

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080829/oil_prices.html

Last edited by billslawn89; 08-31-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There was another thread around here somewhere and someone mentioned Ethanol really jacking up mowers. I don't know much about it, I know I'm trying to stay clear of it in case.

Over the last few weeks my mower will start to sputter and pop and eventually die all together sometimes. Have yet to find the reason for it, my mechanic said it seemed like water in the gas. Noticed the other day the gas station I had started using was using ethanol. I'm going to switch and see if it makes a difference.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We have ran it here in the midwest for years. Never have I had any trouble in any engine that I own due to ethanol blended gasoline. Now E-85 cannot be run in a non E-85 vehicle and cannot be used in lawn equipment and yes you do get a decrease in fuel milage with E-85. But ethanol blended fuels, i don't see a noticable decrease and like i said we have been running it for years. You people in the south are just now getting it.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 08-31-2008, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

is there anything I can put in my tanks/cans to eliminate the water? I've heard alcohol, but also some negative things as well.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ethanol and Alcohol have the same effect. It will do you no good to add even more of it to the fuel. Keep you gas cans sealed up tight and you shouldn't have any problems with water in the fuel. I've been using blended fuels for years with very few problems.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Actually, the ethanol in the fuel, in my opinion, is a good thing, at least in 4-cycle engines. There is only one chain of stores in my immediate area that carries 10% ethanol blend, but I try to fill my mower up there at least once a month or so. Ethanol is a solvent, cleaning the fuel system, plus does the same thing as Heet (methanol) by bonding with the water molecules and causing them to pass through the filters, instead of causing a blockage in the filter. Ethanol also causes the engine to run slightly cooler, I believe.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer says they're finding water in fuel more than ever. It is a problem with both 2 and 4 cycle engines.He sugests funneling all fuel before putting it into equipment.I bought a straining funnel from the dealer and found water in all my fuel.I guess it's something we'll all have to deal with and my concern is that it will shorten the life of my equipment , especially the 2 cycle handheld stuff.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of "funnel?"
Old 08-31-2008, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Keep in mind those gas can eat rubber hose that for gas.

My 79 F150 i used to get 18 to 20 mpg in fall to winter so now found mpg drop to 13 mpg I was shock I thought it my truck have problem

No it was gas cause. Now 2 fuel pump gave up and hose went gone cause blockage so no gas to carb then keep get gas vapor cause engine die when hot.

I am sick of those ethanol gas My truck have lot problem than last year it great until now it run poor plus it keep get water trap in fuel filter.

I need find one that can filter water out gas before put in tank.

You should see me when my truck stop run at Highway I was so mad because ethanol in gas cause water sit in tank so when water get raise then it start pump it cause die.