Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2008, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The work looks good you were really able to pull everything together real well. I don't really care much for the hardscape end of the work...the rock steps coming down look a little rough as well as some of the boulder walls around the property....they just look too hodge podge. Some spots have two levels of boulders other don't etc.... And as stated previously the irregular edge on the paver patio is strange as well as the numerous plant beds in the middle of the patio...I could understand the two on either side of the steps...that looks nice, and the one with the water feature but the others.... by the pilliar and the other with the small rock and cheap perennial just seem a bit over doing it. Less is more.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for all the compliments. It was a fun project.

To answer a few questions...

How much did it cost? In the back yard they spent about $110K for all the excavation, boulders, rock slabs, plants, trees, paver patio, sports court, pathways, soil amendments, new lawn, irrigation, lighting, barkmulch, etc.
We still have to come back and finish the seat wall on one corner of the paver patio and there is another pathway to install as well as some more work on the south side and lighting throughout. But all in all they've spent about $150K with our company so far this year.

How long did it take? The front yard project actually went pretty fast. We had it all done in about 2-3 weeks. The back yard is another story. That took a good 2.5 months. The paver patio alone took a good 3 weeks to do. And I know there are a lot of guys here who will say, "We could have done that in 1 week!" Yah, whatever....

Why didn't I light up the fountain and more of the back? It's wired for it. We have hubs all over that back yard and an 1120w transformer hooked up and already powering the pathway lights near the slab steps. But they decided to do the lighting later (this year or next) just to keep costs down. Our job and the deck that a general contractor built for them together already went way over what they planned to spend this year. So it was just a matter of budget. We'll get to do a lot more lighting there. The front yard is all lit up. Many of the big trees glow, all of the paths are lit, and accent lighting on the specimen trees. We'll get to the back soon enough.

How many guys did it take? It just depends on which part of the job. Our normal install crew is 2 guys and a project manager. So that's 3. But the project manager isn't on site all day. He just manages material flow and keeps the install crew on track. But there were several days (particularly on the paver patio) were we had up to 5 guys there all day. On average, there were probably 3 workers there each day.

Was the house newly constructed or did it have recent renovations that caused the backyard to be in the condition it was in? It actually was built about 4 years ago and came with a complete back yard. But this year they decided to totally redo the crappy wood deck that it came with and do that massive stone and concrete/tile deck instead. It was the construction of that which ruined the back yard. Which was fine with the clients because they wanted to totally redo the back yard anyway.

The random pattern on the paver patio was something our designer came up with. (Well, he came up with the whole concept...) He was trying to be different and show that paver patios don't always have to have your typical soldier course, smooth edge around it. I think it was a good move and the client really loved it. The problem with the patio was that it initially started to look too bid. And the clients almost didn't go for it. It was just TOO much patio. No reason to have that much patio. So our designer refined the design and added the seat walls and little islands inside the patio so that it broke it up and made it so that it didn't feel so massive. The idea was to give it more of a "courtyard" feel than a residential patio feel. As if you were staying at some resort and this was their back courtyard, broken up into smaller sections to be more private. It's not for everyone. But I thought it was really unique and so far the clients and all their guests have really loved it.

The pavers are "Venetian" by PaveStone.

Did I draw the designs? No, I didn't design it. I can't draw designs that nice. Wish I could. We have several freeland designers we use. That guy is probably the best. But he doesn't do much landscape design work anymore. He's moving away from the industry.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-02-2008, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Thanks for all the compliments. It was a fun project.

The random pattern on the paver patio was something our designer came up with. (Well, he came up with the whole concept...) He was trying to be different and show that paver patios don't always have to have your typical soldier course, smooth edge around it. I think it was a good move and the client really loved it. So our designer refined the design and added the seat walls and little islands inside the patio so that it broke it up and made it so that it didn't feel so massive. The idea was to give it more of a "courtyard" feel than a residential patio feel. As if you were staying at some resort and this was their back courtyard, broken up into smaller sections to be more private. It's not for everyone. But I thought it was really unique and so far the clients and all their guests have really loved it.
I kinda got that whole hotel courtyard thought going through my head as I looked at the pictures for the first time. Seems to fit the bill great for a resort like feeling!
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 09-02-2008, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Little project eh?
Looks great.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats an incredible job! Awesome!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thats what I'm talkin about! Now that is a landscape job, beautiful work Jim. What kind of time do you have budgeted for the maintenance?

I used some Belgard pavers 7-8 years ago that looked just like those. I love them for that instant aged look. Sorry to say I liked the front the best, the colors are great, wonderful contrast. I'm a plant guy what can I say.

The fountain and pots look like Menduni's we have a distributor here that goes by the name European Gardens, is that what they are? Again great job. Well boys and girls thats how its done.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, I hear ya. The front yard does look nice with all the plants in bloom and looking so much fuller. But that part of the job was done almost 4 months ago. So they've had time to fill in and work on bigger blooms. The back yard will look pretty amazing too, in terms of planting. But all the plants were just installed 2 weeks ago. So the photos I take next summer should make the back yard look a lot better and more color too.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-03-2008, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks awesome. I really love those slab steps.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

SWEET!!!!!!! Great job. Man I have a lot to learn.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

how the hell do you bid and catch something like that? I have a hard time selling people on a $2000 install. need to find me some people with $ like that