Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How hard is it to juggle two businesses?

OK, it seems that the majority of guys here do more than just Christmas lights, seems most people that do them are landscapers.

I own an organic-based lawn care company. My year is finishing here in about a month but we are pushing hard to try to squeeze out another 50-100 customers before we are finished so we plan to be pretty busy for a little while longer...

SO, how do you guys juggle the two? Just do what you can until the lawn season ends?

Do you have a seperate company name for you lighting business or do you use your main business?

If a customer calls for a quote do you respond in your lawn uniform(basic example it seems) or do you have a seperate uniform for the seperate company?

Do you have a seperate phone for the seperate company?

Thanks, sorry for the questions, just curious as to how guys are handling things... I know I am kind of swamped right now, new business growing like a weed, but I am planning on hiring help in 2 weeks and want to keep them busy through the winter... and I hear there is good money in this...
Old 08-31-2008, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What I would think to answer...

Question 1: Just work through it, the two businesses still have to run, it would be nice if one magically stopped and the other magically started at the exact same time... but welcome to reality...

Question 2: Yes, looks more professional and advertising is a little hard to do... imagine a lawn care company trying to sell you christmas lights

Question 3: Seperate business seperate attire, seperate phone

Question 4: See answer to question 3

Yall will find I ask a lot of questions, but at the same time, bring up a lot of discussion, I haven't been cussed out yet...