Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2008, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

PVC vs PE

Was looking at wreaths and garland and these came up as options. The pics obviously show them looking different.

So, what is the difference between PVC and PE, what does it mean, what are the benefits of each, so on and so forth...

Thanks,
Old 09-01-2008, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

PVC is the paper like plastic you will see on many garlands and wreaths. it is not very UV resistant and tends to fade to a bluish green ( and I'm not talking blue spruce green here either ) in 1-4 years depending on the UV spray applied at the factory. all of the Walmart, Home depot, Lowes and many "commercial"products tend to be PVC. It sheds and gets thin after 4-5 years or so. and it can look Ok and be sellable. PVC pipe for instance, is not meant to be left in the sun. it will get brittle and burst.

PE is a different plastic all together. it is naturally UV resistant without spray and tends to not change it's color with exposure to sun, but it can fade over a period of 8-14 years. Holiday Bright Lights Noble foliage is PE, but it does have some PVC in it that are the "new growth" tips. the pine and spruce tips are PE. the same is true of the noble garland. Pine garland and wreaths tend to be PE because you need long skinny stiff needles and PVC won't do that. PVC is more flat and limp. most of bethlehem/gki and Brite ideas, as well as Christmas decor are PVC. The sierra/chesapeake garland that was used for decades was PVC. it sheds like crazy. PE tends to not shed, but it is a matter of how tight the wire that holds the plastic was wrapped at the factory. as far as pipe, I believe PE pipe is the kind used for electricians conduit, and can handle sunlight as well. I could be wrong about that.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I figured the whole "you get what you pay for" theory applied here...