Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2000, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I love Trimec Classic. We have used it for years and always received comments like &quot;you guys have taken care of our weeds, unlike your competitors.&quot; Last year we tried another 3-way product because it was essentially the 'same' ingredients and we could purchase it in 100-350 gallon shuttles. However, it's odor was very strong and we had some customer comments in regards to it.<p>We then tried some of Lesco's Momentum - I thought it was odorless, but still we had more comments of strong odors. (I was unsatisfied with the results of Momentum, BTW).<p>We have used the Low-Odor Trimec for commercial properties that have high public traffic.<p>Have you experienced anything like this? What products have you used and did it accomplish your goals? Have you had similar customer comments in regards to odors? What actions did you take?<p>----------<br>Blake<br>Ferta-Lawn
Old 01-04-2000, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've found Momentum be be far less odor than any ester and less than most amines (like Classic) I've been using Momentum for 2 years and have been beyond satisfied. What weeds do you have that dicamba or MCPP control better than triclopyr & clopyralid?
Old 01-04-2000, 10:18 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Lazer, I agree with you on the lower odor and being above and beyond my expectations. The customers have been very satisfied with the results. <p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html
Old 01-05-2000, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I too thought Momentum was odorless, but then I don't smell most of the weed-killers after a few months of using them.<p>I used Momentum in my 4th round - Aug/Sept. and I was hoping to see it blast away oxalis and violets. The Lesco representative said that it would beat any product out there. Maybe expectations were too high, or possible climate conditions were a factor - dry weather, or even customer overwatering. I still think that Trimec spiked with Confront can handle oxalis and violets better than the Momentum.<p>In the 2nd round I used Mec Amine D and I thought it had a terrible odor. It may be possible that comments given at the end of the year, were based on the earlier round.<p>Another possibility is that the complaints came from areas where most neighbors have my service. Maybe the wide use makes the odor more significant.<p>I was wondering if any of you had any similar experiences with odor complaints.<p>----------<br>Blake<br>Ferta-Lawn
Old 01-06-2000, 04:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've not had any complaints from customers/neighbors. I think they kind of expect SOME smell. I used to spray ester in spring/fall and received my share of comments when I stopped for an afternoon cup of coffee at the local coffeeshop!<p>As far as the effectiveness of Momentum, It's (obviously) 2,4D w/ Confront. With Classic, you've got small amounts of MCPP and dicamba? added to the mix. There may be better CURATIVE weed killers out there for problem areas, but I've found Momentum to be the best/simplest &quot;every round&quot; product.
Old 01-08-2000, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I did some research on Momentum. I was surprised to find that it contains only 10% of triclopyr as Confront and even less of Clopyralid. Actually, if you were to mix 2-4D with Confront, it would cost less then Momentum.<p>Thanks for your comments!<p>----------<br>Blake<br>Ferta-Lawn
Old 01-08-2000, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on where you buy your straight 2,4D. Also, are you accounting for the difference in mixing concentration? I assume you're knowledgeable, but I ran the numbers last year and found the price really close to custom mixing.
Old 01-08-2000, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We tend to use over here,a product known<br>as &quot;Roundup&quot;which is 360 grams per litre<br>of glyphosate.I dont know if you have it in <br>the States,but if you do it is a very effective non residual,non selective systemic<br>herbicide.If we need a residual action we tank mix it with bromacil.<br>