Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-07-2000, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey every one i am a one man outfit that has been doing this business for about 10 years I do mostly residentail with one small commercial account. I would like to expand enoughf to hire somebody to work with for one i could make more $$$$ with more work and it seems to me it would be funner working with someone.what time of year do yall find any commercial propertys that are accepting bids . am i to late to seek more commercil bids this year. I am primarely interested in the smaller sized commercail do to my equipment 48 and 36 Exmark walk behind. any info would be apprecated
Old 01-08-2000, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule about when commercial accounts sign. Some of our contracts for due in September of the previous year and some will sign in April. I would say commercial accounts are best aquired by showing your face in a prospective site. As far as doctors/dentist offices, they generally use whoever mows their home lawn.<p>Hiring somebody? No doubt it's more fun to work with somebody else. (If they're good) BUT, I would get into a 60&quot; ZTR and work by myself if I were in your shoes. Certianly that would be more fun too, and should be better for your bottom line than hiring someone. By stepping into the whole employer thing, it adds a whole other dimension to your business.
Old 01-08-2000, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice lazer i have been thinking about the Exmark Lazer HP which i beleave comes with a 44&quot; deck which would save alot of walking are velke use.However the old 48&quot; Exmark walk behind is payed for .<br>How much more productive are the lazers in use would the 44&quot; HP out mow a 48&quot; exmark walk unit thanks for the help
Old 01-08-2000, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice lazer i have been thinking about the Exmark Lazer HP which i beleave comes with a 44&quot; deck which would save alot of walking are velke use.However the old 48&quot; Exmark walk behind is payed for .<br>How much more productive are the lazers in use would the 44&quot; HP out mow a 48&quot; exmark walk unit thanks for the help
Old 01-08-2000, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the Toro Z (same as eXmark) has the 44&quot;. The Toro 44 probably won't save you too much time. The Exmark Lazer Z has 48&quot; and 52&quot;. Z HP w/ 52&quot; would be nice if your looking for a smaller machine.<p>The time savings also comes as a result of fatigue. Does it get really hot in your area? Do you use a Velke? Do you have the vigor you had when you were younger? Do you mow a lot of slopes, hills & ditches? These and other factors come into play when determining the amount of increased productivity when aquiring a new machine.