Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2008, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did Permagreen make changes on different year Ultras?

As the title says. I have the availability to buy any of 3 permagreen ultras. A 2003, 2004, and 2006. Where there any changes during these and is there one to stay away from just based on year/model? Hours are appropriate for the year. Havent seen them yet.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

believe they started with magnum in 05 or 06

but anyway i think the later model Ultras were SE's
which had an upgraded wiring system, sealed connectors etc..
certainly worth having
g/l
Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. the later Ultras were the SE models. These have a sealed electrical system. Not muc different from the original Ultras, as the connections can be sealed up, anyway. One thing about the Ultras, is that because of the electrical system and use of the battery, they sprayed much more consistent than the earlier models (Centri). What the centri's would do, is because the pump motor ran off the engine electrical, as you would reach the end of a row (or a corner or obstacle), as you lowered the rpm's, the spray patten would go down (width-wise, included). The Ultras put out much more, and as said before, consistently. The Ultras put out more than the magnums, as well. My friend who owns 3 Magnums still likes to borrow my Ultra once in awhile to do higher volume sprays (like for Nutsedge, and such), using the higher spray at a lower ground speed. This gives us a delivery rate of about 2500 sq. ft. per gal., as opposed to the 4000 sq. ft. per gal. at normal spray rate.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The last ultra came out in the beginning of 2004 and the first magnum was released at the end of 2004.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Feel free to upgrade to a motorcycle battery. You can also rewire. Use fatter wire so that the full voltage is delivered. Avoid any splices or connections under the hood where fertilizer accumulates. Route the wire around in back to avoid the fertilizer accumulations. Coat any connections or bare metal with silicone sealer or hot glue--water tight. Bigger pump is a possible option.
When you look at your choices of machines--test the outflow by holding a measuring cup under the fill valve at the lower left of the tank. With just the battery , you should get about 90 ounces per minute or 22 oz in fifteen seconds.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

2003 Ultra Model # ROU 60 A1A - 452 hrs.

2004 Ultra Model # 144-733-100 - 328 hrs.

2006 Ultra Model # ULTRA SE A1A - 288 hrs.

This is what I have if it helps at all. I was under the impression that they had Ultras and Magnums both for a year or two. Maybe they where left overs? So is this possibly wrong? Im going to look this weekend.