Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2002, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spreading it thin (Pre-M)

In the past, Iíve used a cheapo hand-held spreader (Home Depot) to spread Pre-M in ornamental beds. It worked, but it was far from accurate as far as the rate goes. I was using Lescoís 0-0-7 with Pre-M. It was cheap, so it didnít matter that much.

Now I plan to buy a product with Treflan and it isnít cheap. Now I need to be more precise, but I donít know what spreader to use. Putting down around 2 pounds per 1,000 is pretty thin.

Anyone have any spreader suggestions for me?
Old 01-30-2002, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: LTM, i use snapshot, iususally get about 25,000 sq ft out of a bag, usually costs 42.00 per bag but its far better than treflan, may only have to apply once a season if you use heavy rate. Tony
Old 01-30-2002, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with general gounds, snapshot works great. Ever since we began using snapshot, our expenses on roundup and labor involved in bed maintenance have reduced dramatically.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oops forgot about spreader that we use. I believe it is called an (eg-rite) spreader, and is available at lesco for around $35.00.

I cant explain how it works, except by comparing the snapshot coming out of the spreader to the plinko game on the price is right.

I hope that makes some kind of sense to you, because as I read it, it sounds sort of silly.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for both the tip on the Snapshot and the eg-rite spreader. I will go there today and check it out. Much appreciated.
Old 01-31-2002, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do go to check out that gravity fed spreader, (I've seen them called Acme Sred-Rite-G & Casoron spreader after the herbicide) also take a look at the Solo handheld spreader. It's more money ($95.00 I think) but it's really nice. It is a very small rotary unit that holds enough material to do a small, hard to access lawn should the need arise. It's at least as good in beds too.
Steve
Old 02-01-2002, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ordered the Solo 421s spreader yesterday. Lesco had them and wanted $90 + tax. Whew! Both Russo and Alamia.com offerred to sell me one for $70, but Alamia go my business because of FREE SHIPPING.

Nuts to Lesco!

Thanks for all the tips from everyone too.

I also bought some XL 2G today for $46.00 for the 50# bag. The guy said it would work just as good as Snapshot, and has the same ingredients, so we'll see.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

XL 2G & SnapShot are not the same thing. The sales person fed you a line.

Snapshot is Gallery & Treflan
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld0B6003.pdf

XL 2G is Balan & Surflan
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld20N001.pdf

XL 2G is cheaper because it is old off patent chemistry. That in itself doesn't make it bad. But the SnapShot is better chemistry & would have performed better for you.

Steve
Old 02-03-2002, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a lot of pre-em in beds to do, consider the <a href="https://secure.forestry-suppliers.com/View_Catalog_Page.asp?ID=1871">SP Systems backpack dust/granular spreader</a>. You will need a little work to calibrate it for yourself, but it will be a great timesaver when you learn it. I think it holds around 20# of Snapshot; does away with the pain of constantly filling hand shakers.

Only hassle to me is that you must hold wand with left hand and pump with right hand. Would be an easier tool for a lefty to get used to.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim,
I'm not familiar with the SP's but look it over carefully. The Solo sprayers that we sell can have the pump handle removed & reinstalled on the opposite side for South Paws like yourself. It's possible your SP can be modified too.
Steve