Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2002, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I just got a Solo belly grinder to replace the Earthway belly grinder that I HATED. The Solo is very nice. It holds a decent amount of product but is easy to use on steep bed areas. Plus you can turn off the flow w/out having to recalibrate.

general grounds, you can get Snapshot for 42/bag? The LESCO near me is at around $70/bag. I went with Treflan again. At less than half the price, and experiencing no shortcomings with Treflan yet, I couldn't justify the extra $$$.

What is it in Snapshot that makes it a favorite over Treflan?
Old 02-10-2002, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The SP backpack I mentioned above is a totally new way of spreading dry product. Does away with dust flying onto you from shakers or impeller type applicators. No way to switch handle from side to side like liquid backpacks; dedicated location of pump sets the pump handle on the right side. I meant to indicate that this tool would be easier for a lefthanded person to adapt to. Maybe in the future they will address the L/R convertability.

To understand the use of different chemicals, pay attention to the common scientific name of the ingredients. Treflan is a brand name for the common chemical trifluralin. This chemical controls more than 2 dozen weeds, usual target is annual grassy weeds. Snapshot is the brand name of a combo of trifluralin plus isoxaben. This formulation controls over 100 grassy and broadleaf weeds, both annual and perennial. Snapshot is the hands down choice as a preemergent in beds (except for some sensitive plants - READ THE LABEL COMPLETELY), unless you are only concerned about annual grassy weeds in your setting. Twice the cost and doing 4 times the work is a good deal on price.

And XL 2G is another combo product, benefin plus oryzalin (Balan and Surflan) that will control over 3 dozen weeds.

Pick your product based on your target, not on price!! If I sell an annual weed control in a bed, with Treflan I will have a lot of time spent on pre-emergent control, either pulling or spraying, compared to same bed done with Snapshot. But if my problem is only crabgrass in a brick driveway, Treflan would be more economical to use, and XL 2G would even be more effective.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Groundkprs, thanks for your thoughts on Treflan and Snapshot. I think I'll be going to Snapshot for the most part, and continue using Treflan in annual beds and around more sensitive palntings. Thanks, Daniel
Old 02-15-2002, 12:59 PM
Banned

How about doing your granular ap in the early spring and spot spraying with Roundup,TriMec,Surflan?