Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-31-2002, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

toyota tundra

Does anyone own a toyota tundra? If so how do you like it. I am a big time toyota fan especially after purchacing a 92 f250 diesel. I have put 4X the money into that thing in 1 year as I have with my 90 toyota pickup in 4 years. My little toyota just didn't like to pull a 16' trailer though.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2000 Tundra 4x4 with 23k on it. Extended cab, power everything, V-8 and automatic. I'm in love...

Rides great, not for a truck but great ride period. Good tunes with cd and tape, the first fresh air vent on a truck I've owned that actually brings in air at the out side temp. Not pre heated when the heater is off.

You can put 5-600 lbs of fert or seed right inside the tail gate and never know it is there.

Engine oil cooler standard. Trans oil cooler standard.

Down side, avg 15 mpg local but towards 18 on a trip.

Upside, it'll kick just about any other trucks butt when you push the pedal. I had a guy with a Ford SRV pass me hard last summer cause I was only doing 50 on a country road. I let him get a lead before I showed him what the Toy could do. After we hit the stop sign he got on it hard again. The ford has more on the low end. He got a little on me but he couldn't shake me and then I started gaining. Had to quit to make my turn to the shore.

They rock!
Old 01-31-2002, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

main disadvantage i see is the limitation to short bed with ext cab
Old 02-01-2002, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My father inlaw bought a Tundra top of the line v-8 i force (whatever that means). I drove this truck all the time. I even lawnserviced with it when my truck was in the shop. This is not comparable to a chevy or ford of its class. It can tow, but not much. It could barely pull the fifth wheel that we rented last yearthe back end was sinkin bad and not enough power. Isnt it the same engine they put in their lexus cars. They also had a 1997 chevy 1500 with a 350. This truck had balls. It was lowered and had flowmasters. It could smoke almost anyone on the road. Including the Tundra. They traded that tundra in for a avalanche
Old 02-01-2002, 05:56 PM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
scagman

I would be very interested in your father in laws opinion on that avalanche
Motor trend really liked it a lot and gave it 2002 truck of the year.
Im retired gm and i would very much like to here his opinion
I myself at first thought they were the ugleist thing i ever saw when looking at it in pictures and just driveing by them while driveing. When i got a look up close at one on a dealer lot i didnt think they were as ugly as when just looking at the pictures.I think if they got rid of some of the plastic on it ,it would look much better.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its his wifes my mother in laws. She loves it its white with grey trim. Ive drove it in fact I drove everyone home last night from dinner they had one two many martinies. This truck is so smooth Ive never looked under the hood, but they said it has a 327 kinda odd has great power though. They took it in 2 weeks ago and put twenty inch crome rims on it looks sweet. It was her x mas present almost $4000 they said they were discounted too. They tow with it and say it does better than the tundra. They also got rid of the chevy 1500 and now he drives an Acura something?
Old 02-04-2002, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Not quite enough truck

I too am shopping for a new truck to replace my little Ford Ranger. I was very impressed with the reviews of the Tundra at first. I have heard many people talk about how much they drive like a car: smooth, quiet, and very luxurious inside. But take a look at the bed. It's about an inch more shallow than my 4cyl, 2wd Ranger. The bench seats also are very shallow. Your legs will sit more like they're in an Accord than a truck. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Beautiful truck, but not very effecient for work.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe the newer f250's are different, but I am sick of doing repair after repair on this thing. Toyota's seem to last forever. I used my little 4cyl toy to even pull my 16' trailer for a year and it still didn't give me any problems. It seems like it gets harder and harder to find a good work truck. The ford I use now strickly for the biz has a huge benck seat and all vinyl whick is great. Do they still make trucks like that. I don't think I want one of my sweaty, dirty workers to hop into an all leather power everything truck. Anyone with me on this one?
Old 02-05-2002, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you really want a Toyota, they make a two wheel drive, single cab, white Tundra work truck. I dont think they make it with the V8, but with the V6 which does not match up to chevy's 4.3 vortec or Fords 4.0. The V6 that they put in the Tundras are the same V6's they put in their Tacomas which I think is a 3.4 litre. Why not a Chevy????
Old 02-07-2002, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For the money one would spend on the Toyota they could own a real truck.

Buy the Dodge with the Cummins.