Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2002, 10:28 PM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
Want a puller get a chevrolet duramax 300 horses of pulling power
Old 02-17-2002, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Tundra

The top of the line 4X4 Tundra is a superior all around truck, but I bought a Silverado because the Tundra was mis-engineered with a terrible small back seat. The back seat in my '96 T100 was bigger. All of my Toyota trucks were screwed together better than any American truck, but size really does matter sometimes..........
Z71 Extended Cab K1500 5.3
Old 02-18-2002, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I found the yote to be a good truck, but not enough. If they started making 3/4 ton and full ton trucks with full size beds, they would be great work trucks. My local dealer couldn't even find one without the extended crab, and the bed is a funny size, not the american standard 6 or 8 foot. If you were just using it to bomb around from job to job, I would do it. But pulling a big trailer, or hauling dirt or mulch, no thanks, not for me. Fords are cheap right now, 0% financing...
Old 02-25-2002, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Toyota Tundra

We just purchased 2 new 2002 Tundra's for the bussiness. One 4x4 quad cab and one 4x2 quad cab. The 4x4 is for plowing ext. They pull very well and they move with a full bed also. Not as big inside or out as the Ford or Chevy but better in the other areas that really count in this business in the same size truck.

Haven't been dissapointed yet.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this really is an easy question to answer.

scotts turf currently has a small toyota. it treats him well, when treated right (which is no surprise for toyota.) but he admits with the 16 footer the toyota is lacking.

he also has a 250 diesel so he knows what real power and real size is.

lets compare a 3/4 ton diesel from the big three to the toyota using facts first.

were talking work truck, and so bed size goes to the big three. its not our fault toyota doesn't ofer reg. cab with 4x4.

engine size and power. please, the toyota has a 4.8 8 cyl. i believe???

now some opinion

plow ability-a lot of us do this. good luck with a tundra. even if it will perform the task, warrenty coverage is a dream.

i cant say for sure, and i will check and correct myself if wrong, but GVWR, payload, # for the toyota tundra are likely not up to big 3 class.

i'm not saying a business cant be run with these. rangers, s-10's, 1/2 tons they all work. but know their limitations. we don't do heavy towing, and plow res. only,but STILL lately been thinking of going ford or dodge in order to get SRW one ton class.
i'd rather have the ability and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-25-2002, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i was wrong about the bed. you can get a reg. cab in 4x4. in fact the bed is about an inch longer than a chevy!!

but from what i see, GVWR on a tundra 3000 pounds short of a gm 2500HD, payload about 1800 pounds short. chevy has 55 more horses, 45 more lb-ft torque. (6.0 engine) imagine the DRW with the diesel...

and look at the restyled ram. 345 horses!!!!

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-26-2002, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey there Bubble Boy,

If you will look up the Dodge on the Kelly Blue Book site for information the advise you to wait until 2003 when they put the hemmi engine in it. Don't get me wrong I really like the Dodge and it's new look and my favorite is the Big Ford 350 quad cab with the diesel.

We got the Toyota because of it beng able to tow really well and fit into some tight spots where the others are just to big.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oh, definately wait for the hemi. ive got a 2001 with the magnum, nice enough, but the 2003 dodge looks real nice. and apparently they track straight as an arrow at high speed.

as for tight spots what of the tacoma?

i know that size is a concern, lotsa jeeps here for that reason.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-26-2002, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

The wheel base is a little shorter so it's easier on turn around when there isn't alot of room that's all.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am with Homer! Buy a Dodge w/ a cummins diesel. No offence but your ford 250 is weak. No turbo. Test drive a dodge w/ a cummins. I think the toyota tundra has no personality, diesels are just so much more fun. Get a tough, dependable, manly diesel truck.