Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2008, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Should I or shouldn't I?

OK, it comes down to this.

From what I can tell we are getting to the dead line of whether we do this this year or not with all the needed ads and all.

Here is my situation, I am looking to you guys for your expertise on whether this is really feasible at this time or not.

I have an organic-based lawn care company that I started this year. I currently have 50 customers and am planning on doubling that by the end of this year. That is one customer for each customer, a neighbor down the street type thing. I don't think this is too hard a goal to reach. I have a second guy that is coming in that I want to put to work but as you can see I have limited work as it is. It may be possible to have him head up the lights business for this year so he has work and then when the lawn care stops I can switch over and help with the lights.

It will be tight and busy for about a month or two as I am doing my last treatment, aerations and overseeding, but after that there is nothing to be done through the winter, which aslo means no money coming in until next spring.

I really like the idea of Christmas lights and think I have the right eye to make a house look good.

The question is do I have enough time and manpower to get this done and do it correctly? How hard is it to get it up and going being I have never done this before? How hard is it to actually install the lights, using clips and what not... I don't think that it will be too hard, just more time consuming.

Is this feasible or should I wait, learn more through this winter and next summer and be ready for the next christmas? I REALLY want to get this going this year but with everything else going on I don't want to lose focus on the main business and have both start to be don half a$$.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

How much does an "average" house run in cost of materials? Something kind of like this as I plan to hit the higher end neighborhoods...
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Sponsor

This looks like about 150-175 feet of C9 for the front roof line. You need to make around $3 per foot to cover your install and removal, then you need to tack on your light cost, however you decide to do it, renting or selling. SO if you sold them the lights for $2 per foot you would charge a total of $5 per foot. (this is just an example)

It's going to take you a while to grow your business, so you might as well start now. Even if you got 3-5 accounts this year, it will help prep you for next year..etc.

Personally, I think you would be stupid to not open up a spin off company and offer all "green" decorating.(call it Deep Green Lighting..) You already have clients that want the environmentally friendly stuff, so you need to brand your whole company as environmentally friendly. Then both companies will feed off of each other. I would be thinking all LED if I were in your shoes.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1965 View Post
Personally, I think you would be stupid to not open up a spin off company and offer all "green" decorating.
LOL, thanks...

That is what I am thinking...

How hard is it to actually put up the lights? Do the clips and all go on pretty easy for the most part with few snags? The lights like you said I could drive over and pick up right down the street and just get what I need which will help keep my supply down until I know how things are going to go.

That and the money seems too good to pass up.

I appreciate the help... when do you start getting busy?

How hard is it going to be to pick this up and figure it all out?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Sponsor

The more you do it , the better and faster you will get. You will hardly ever have a job that is just like another one.

We will start putting up lights Nov 1st ish and go for five weeks, but we have already started going after new business this year. If you wait until Nov. to start going after business, you will get a bunch of calls around Thanksgiving and you can only help a few of those at that time.
My goal is to have my schedule filled by early November, so at that point we can just focus on getting stuff up! We'll see if it really happens that way
Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

a house like what was posted will take a day?

do you do a lot of halloween and other holiday decorations?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Sponsor

Depends what you had to do to it. two guys could do that roof line in four hours, I bet it comes down in about one hour.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

any other nice, clean features such as wreaths and would go pretty quick wouldn't they?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Sponsor

Usually. But sometimes there are tricky hangs.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

what do you do with areas such as stucko? How do you hang the wreaths and stuff in those situations? The hot glue? Liquid nails?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Sponsor

Don't know, we don't have stucko in Michigan.