Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant Buyer 83 View Post
The more north you go the more sun they need. Further south they prefer filtered sun in the afternoon. Perfect time to plant!

Smallaxe - good question Not sure I know the correct answer - You may not even get the desired color the first year or even 2 - soils can be funny - so many outside factors. I would incorporate some into the soil when planting, then I would almost say wait until they start to bloom then evaluate and top dress accordingly - although at that point it might be too late. I do think a soil sample is key to a good start.

I would be interested in how this goes for you and what results you find and what worked and what didn't work. Do keep us posted.
I don't know the answer either. One thing that seems to hold the general consesus is that: Ph changes s-l-o-w-l-y........

I see your point about waiting till next year's blossoms - then going from there. I thought about that my self.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The pinks are very easy for us here... especially with the crustacean marl left in many lake beds mixed in.
The regular clay soil with composted leaves and such are easily purple, but have been unable to get blue yet. I am still afraid to use wood ash for potash (K).

What is a good K fertilizer?
(Without picking up a 50# bag of some regular fert.)