Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-06-2008, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Extension Cords

Few questions about extension cords, some of this may be self explanatory but I want to put it out there just in case there are details that need to be known about the different subjects, ie don't don't do this or don't use these. OR these are great or I found a great thing to do, this is how...

Basic questions...

Where do all the extension cords go to be hidden? Especially with roofs and what not? I understand that you can connect lights together but you have to get a power source to the lights themselves. How do you handle this both on the house and in the yard? I am thinking the house they get ran in corners and held in place with tabs? And the lawn you could probably easily "bury" them in the ground maybe a long driveways and sidewalks, or just using you finger to poke them in? Or do they typically just lay in straight lines as to keep it looking neat?
Old 09-06-2008, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Going up the roof use gutter drains, either tucked behind or inside. I tuck cords on the roof into gutters but not the plug ends. on peaks I tuck them behind all in one clips or gable clips for light links and run them on the roof an inch or so from the edge. ground cords are pushed up against the bottom edge of home where it meets the ground. I try to do the multi-plug ins behind bushed to hide the uglyness. timers are mounted above outlets with screws. One cord out of timer to the multiple cords for other items away from the outlet.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

very nice... is there a color you prefer? All green?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you guys need some snow to hide your cords!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

snow? what's that? Oh wait... sometimes people call this odd white stuff that looks a lot like dandruff that falls from the sky snow...

A few years ago I think someone came through the neighborhood with one of those machines they use in the mountains for the ice slopes... we had this white stuff everywhere that turned to slush and froze on the roads...

snow? I don't know about this...

new thread?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ahh, see, you need the joy of having a customer calling you on Jan 2nd demanding that her lights come down now, even though her gutters are full of ice and the roof is covered in snow and ice... You guys are really missing out!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I buy green cords when they are similar in price to the orange, but I have to watch the dollars these days. orange is fine if it is hid on the roof, gutters or behind bushes. I prefer orange when running across a lawn or walk to keep mowers from running over or folks from tripping on them.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
I prefer orange when running across a lawn or walk to keep mowers from running over or folks from tripping on them.
good point
Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

He is right on here! The last thing you want it someone tripping on a cord and sewing you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
I buy green cords when they are similar in price to the orange, but I have to watch the dollars these days. orange is fine if it is hid on the roof, gutters or behind bushes. I prefer orange when running across a lawn or walk to keep mowers from running over or folks from tripping on them.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

If I need to go from one elevation to another such as a dormer I make a cord out of black 12/2 cable and use black duck tape to tape it to the shingles going up to the dormer. I think people expect to see some of the cords when doing christmas because it is temporary. I try to make sure everything is safe first and hidden as well as posssible.

Hope this helps,TF