Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2008, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Timers

What kinds are there, what are the differences, what are the pros and cons, what is your experience?

I have seen different types be named such as photo-cell timers. I take it these are controlled by the day light or lack of. Then I am sure there are timed timers, set to come on and off at different specific times. Any others?

Which ones do you recommend and who makes the best? It seems that personally the most preferred ones to use are the photo-cells.

Thanks,
Old 09-06-2008, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I predicted this thread...

Photo-cells are somewhat employee stupid proof. set it to 6 hours and your done. no worries about AM or PM, setting the clock or the trun on /off time. most photo-cells only do 8.3 amps, so you usually need several foa a normal installation, unless you are all LED 'ala Hotrod. Outdoor digitals have diappeared from my Lowes and Home depot, so Photo-cells are what we use 90% of the time. Homeowners don't like how some come on at slightly dark and others at full dark. so I try to have the top be on one, the garand/wreaths and some mini's on another, then the rest of the mini's on a thirs if neccesary.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

so the light conditions cause them to come on and the timer tells it when to shut off? Have you found better ones at different places or are the typically all the same, one of those might as well get it from the big box store type things?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Sponsor

There really isn't a million different timer manufacuters to chose from.
I use a mix of photo cells and normal. If you have to put a timer on a covered porch, you might want to use a normal timer.
I just snagged 18 from westsidewholesale for like $8.xx and got free shipping, Homedepot Lowes have good photo cells that are usually arounf $9. I like the ones that have two plugs on the timer.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I seem to get more life out of photo-cells than digitals also. you can't put a photo-cell in a garage, or behind shrubs.