Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2000, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I am considering doing a "Flyer Blitz" in my area that would offer a a pre-season discount to anyone signing up for annual lawn maintenance before March 1st. (Basically one month free) I am hoping that might give me a good idea as to what I might expect to pick up as new customers in the Spring. I'll let the professionals out there tell me if this is a good idea or too early to stir anyone's interest in lawn care. Should I wait until closer to Spring or try to stir interest now?
Old 01-06-2000, 03:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess it depends on when spring starts in your area. I've found that flyers tend to target people signing up later than average.<br>I personally wouldn't flyer until you're within 2 months of the start of the season.
Old 01-06-2000, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm in Georgia so I expect late March to be ready to begin. I figured the next two months could be spent on soliciting new business with doorknob hangers and flyers.
Old 01-06-2000, 11:27 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would start at least by Febuary 1st. The flier is how I got started and that way all your work is in the area you pick.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html
Old 01-08-2000, 06:58 AM
jeffclc

Well, I haven't advertised much, but this past season, I wanted to pick up some parking lots to plow snow at. I sent out a post card to 100 business in July advertising a Christmas in July snow plowing special. I did not list what the special offer was, but stated that you had to call by July 25th to recieve the special offer.<p>Well, I got one call. I did land the job. I sent out post cards to the same 100 business in Oct./Nov. and got about a dozen calls. I guess this shows that people are not really inerested in snow removal in July. <p>So does this appily to lawn work? I don't know, but thought that I would share my experience.<p>I also send out my renewal letter for my existing lawn accounts early, and place a flyer advertising discounts for early spring clean-ups, and mulchings, ect, and most people wait till the last minute, and want things done now.
Old 01-08-2000, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with an earlier post that the earlier you attain customers, the more you can cherry pick through the jobs. We receive calls all year round for lawn and landscape work. So in my opinion it is never too early. Here in Connecticut, the economy has treated us well, and customers feel like they need to be on a list for preferential service in the Spring (they are correct). However, be careful not to give too much away for nothing. I would expect that you get signed contracts for a year, and then issue a credit, but you should consider the size of the credit and when you will supply it. i.e. maybe the 'free' month should be October, or 1 cut off each of four months, etc. We only offer 1 discount - that is a certain percentage (usu. 5-10%) off with full pre-payment for the season received with a signed contract in March or April. If you offer too much or hi-lite 'Free' anything in your advertisement, you might attract a pool of ultimately the wrong type of customers. Also, like Jeff mentioned previously - you should do something for your current customers too!<p>Here is another thought that I often share when asked this question -<p>Have you already maximized the amount of services you are providing to your current customers? A lot of companies could make more money, by widening the range of services to their client base, and providing more thorough customer service rather than add more jobs to the list.<p><p><br>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider<br>