Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm335 View Post
But if you could find other work for a fullsize excavator and had enough septic work would it not be cheaper to buy one? We are renting equipment right now and if we could find some more work we would buy some equipment...

No, because we only do this in the direct area where I live for people I know. This is something I started 2 years ago to supplement cashflow in the winter. Usually a backhoe is used for septic systems, but when you have a steep cliff to traverse to access the drain field, you need a tracked machine.

The worse thing any business can do is have equipment that sits and doesn't get used.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

DVS MY machine was 35k. I need a machine for 2 months when I am on a big job. I have been spending 12-15k per a big job on excavation subs and rentals. I would of spent 15k on the last job I just finshed.

In 3 jobs the machine will pay for itself. If I only needed it for a week i'd rent. But spending 5k a month on rentals hurts.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep up the good work Rusk, I enjoy your threads.

How did that big job wth 100ton of stone turn our for you over the winter last?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

psi = pounds / square inch 3500psi concrete is designed not to break until 3500 psi is applied to the test cylinder.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
pro stone installer.

too funny

pressure it can take before cracking.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
No, because we only do this in the direct area where I live for people I know. This is something I started 2 years ago to supplement cashflow in the winter. Usually a backhoe is used for septic systems, but when you have a steep cliff to traverse to access the drain field, you need a tracked machine.

The worse thing any business can do is have equipment that sits and doesn't get used.
Yeah I know all about that... We have repaired a few drain fields on septics.. and that is all we use here for septics are backhoes.. well except us because a skid and a mini ex are alot more productive and all we ever use are trackmachines and they are great on steep terrain and you would be surprised where we have put a backhoe at my job.. But you never said if you did it full time or part time or just for friends.. but since you arent full time it makes sense that you dont own equipment.. compared to rusk where it is actually cheaper for him to own his own machine and do what he can himself and then sub things like electric out.. so it makes sense for rusk in every way..

hey rusk did you ever learn to run the 150?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!

Last edited by Junior M; 09-11-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We do new septic system installs and excavating more or less for friends. I don't push it as hard as I should. We got into doing septics when my friend built a new home across the road from me. He called 4 people for estimates and no one returned his call. So I was like "ok, I'll take the test for installing septics and we'll do it if no one else will". So thats what I did. This is a mountainous area. The back of his property is so steep that I had one hell of a time getting the excavator back up. Every time I got to the top, the excavator would slide sideways. I tried both pulling and pushing with the bucket and still had little luck. After about an hour....I finally got it on level ground! We then do rough grading with a Case dozer and final grading with the skiddy boppers. I love the challanging jobs, nothing like a $12,000 to $15,000 conventional septic system!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
We do new septic system installs and excavating more or less for friends. I don't push it as hard as I should. We got into doing septics when my friend built a new home across the road from me. He called 4 people for estimates and no one returned his call. So I was like "ok, I'll take the test for installing septics and we'll do it if no one else will". So thats what I did. This is a mountainous area. The back of his property is so steep that I had one hell of a time getting the excavator back up. Every time I got to the top, the excavator would slide sideways. I tried both pulling and pushing with the bucket and still had little luck. After about an hour....I finally got it on level ground! We then do rough grading with a Case dozer and final grading with the skiddy boppers. I love the challanging jobs, nothing like a $12,000 to $15,000 conventional septic system!
Ok? When my dad was in business he would have to dig and set transformers on hills so steep we were worried about the oil pressure and rolling the machine when coming backdown.. It was so steep you had to lean forward and hold on to the rops (an old bobcat 331) and try and do everything one handed because you thought your little bit of wieght would tip the machine backwards..

and yeah I love a challenge to!! We had a job in feburary cleaning up alot and our only way in was through a nieghbors lot and when you pulled over the curb the front end on the T190 we went would slam down and your the back of the tracks would come 2 or 3 feet off the ground. the couple times i did it.. (we didnt really use the skid alot on that one) I would have to brace myself against the pedals on the floor so I wouldnt slam against the seatbar..

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

jlm- I can run the 150 okay. Atleast go enough to backfill stuff, load trucks, etc. I haven't spent much time in it. I have more important things to do. I try to let the younger guys on the crew get the experience. One 20 year old is pretty good on it so I let him run it. Alot of the time I have the guy I bought it from come out and run it.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just thinking you might try and find a little stump removal job over the winter that there isnt a big rush on, of course when you arent busy, to go out on that would give you hours in the seat and you could keep another guy busy on the skid with a grapple stockpiling the stumps or putting them in hole.. thats what I would do..

Not trying to bash here but I think you should be the one really learning to run it.. I mean when your the boss and owner of the business and equipment you should be the best operator on the job. but in your case that isnt true but I think you should put a little more effort forward to learn to run it..

oh yeah I meant to ask are you used to running deere controls?

Quote:

Closed Thread