Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i dont agree, hes never going to be the one running it to get the job done and make the money so i dont see the need in being a pro on it. but you should (im sure you do) know enough to be able to tell them what to do and what not to do.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

The boss man here can basically run the equipment but that's about it.

We try to keep him from coming to the jobs, he tends to just run into stuff and cause things to go backwards rather than forward.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It would be impossible to be the best in my company in everything we do. I'd have to be a expert mason, carpenter, paver layer, operator, mechanic, etc!

I do enjoy running the machine. If I were persuing excavation jobs i'd proably run it more. But the way we use it, if I was the main operator it would affect other parts of my business.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this is true the operator should be the best at running the equipment that is why you hire them as an OPERATOR and pay them more to run a machine that others don't know how to use. I agree you should be able to use your own equipment but you don't need to be an expert on them, as long as you know enough to tell if the guy you are interviewing knows his stuff.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso Services View Post
i dont agree, hes never going to be the one running it to get the job done and make the money so i dont see the need in being a pro on it. but you should (im sure you do) know enough to be able to tell them what to do and what not to do.
I didnt mean it like the best ever, I didnt explain it right.. I mean more like what picasso said.. he knows how to do stuff in a more productive way and can just show up on a job and say hey try it this way and it is alot more productive... Like I said I didnt explain it right..

And the only way you could be the best operator if you start like I am starting out.. you are the owner operator and you have alot of time to get better and you have no choice but to get good at it..

But sorry for the misunderstand I do that alot I type it one way and it doesnt quite explain what I mean and you guys dont get what I am actually saying..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shethinksmytractors_sexy View Post
why would you sub out the electrical on the pillars. that is the easiest part of the job. my little sister could do that. but anyways lets see some more pics.
Every state is different. In NJ it is highly illegal to do that without being licensed. Heck they are even having problems with low voltage lighting if it hasnt been changed yet.

Yes electrical is pretty easy, but the proper techniques are why you pay the big bucks. I rewired my whole house last year and saved over 15K. It was a huge learning curve, and I had to redo the first room I did, but I had a knowledge of DC electric going in so AC wasnt much different. Anyways like I said you have to hire a licensed electrician if it isnt your house. Not sure Matt's insurance company would like his masons doing it.

I think I know where this job is. You guys dont work a minute past 5 do you. Ive seen a lot of hacks come out of that road. Glad to see something go right up there. A lot of dreams have been crushed up on that mountain.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the psi in concrete is the amount of pressure it can withstand before failing. 4000 mix is the norm up here.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

how do they change the psi? what ag they use, how much portland, fiber?
Old 09-12-2008, 06:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Every state is different. In NJ it is highly illegal to do that without being licensed. Heck they are even having problems with low voltage lighting if it hasnt been changed yet.

Yes electrical is pretty easy, but the proper techniques are why you pay the big bucks. I rewired my whole house last year and saved over 15K. It was a huge learning curve, and I had to redo the first room I did, but I had a knowledge of DC electric going in so AC wasnt much different. Anyways like I said you have to hire a licensed electrician if it isnt your house. Not sure Matt's insurance company would like his masons doing it.

I think I know where this job is. You guys dont work a minute past 5 do you. Ive seen a lot of hacks come out of that road. Glad to see something go right up there. A lot of dreams have been crushed up on that mountain.

We work past 5 almost every day.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso Services View Post
how do they change the psi? what ag they use, how much portland, fiber?
ratio of portland, aggregate and water. all adds up to psi
Closed Thread