Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-29-2008, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Pull Behind Attachments on a Walk Behind Mower?

I have an older 52" walk behind Turf Tracer. I have the mulch kit and am using gator blades. For the past couple of years, I've been trying to mulch the leaves in my yard. It does a great job with most of them, but there is still quite a lot that gets pushed to the side.

This year, I wanted to add one of the pull-behind yard sweeper attachments and use that to clean up the remaining leaves. I also thought that it would be useful to add a pull-behind cart for hauling things around the yard. However, the arm on these are fairly short and I would have to add an extension. I would also have to worry about stepping over the bar when I made turns. Another alternative would be to add a sulky and attach it to a pivot connection on the back of that.

Has anyone done something similar? How did it go? Should I just give up and get my blower out?

Thanks,
CJ
Old 10-29-2008, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Try this-

http://www.jrcoinc.com/default.asp

http://www.acceleratorindustries.com...els/Exmark.htm
2003 Exmark Metro 36'' Deck 15hp
Echo Handhelds
Old 10-29-2008, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Or you might be able to ride on top of the bar if your talented enough, or you may even be able to weld some type of hitch extension on the mower itself

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 10-29-2008, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

youll end up hurting yourself trying that. There are attachments for walk behinds for leaves. The collection barrel and vac goes above the engine. Not sure who makes it but i have seen them around here. Jrco also has wheel barrow attachments that also stays on top and front of the mower. If you lose your footing pullint trailers it could get ugly fast.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 10-29-2008, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

is it REALLY a lot of leaves that it leaving behind? I mean, no matter how good of a job you do cleaning leaves, theres always going to be a few strays that blow onto the lawn from a neighbors yard or from a tree by the time you leave anyway, so whats the difference really? I think you're also asking for an accident and hurting yourself with this thing the way you are talking about doing it.

Now, I'm not engineer (or artist for that matter) but what about something like this, where you have a stand-on style sulky that attaches to the mower in a "hard mount" way so that it does not pivot like a conventional one would, and then have a shaft coming out of it that would pull the leaf picker-upper thing and allow it to pivot off the sulky. I don't think you would want it to pivot in 2 places because it would get too out of control. I also think doing something like this will undoubtedly make your mowing rig a lot longer and really decrease your maneuverability.
Attached Images

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 10-29-2008, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that your best bet would be to get a bagger for it and also in the link i first up is to get the bin from jrco that mounts on to the deck and can be taken off easy. You will do just fine bagging the leaves then the sweeper will do and plus the sweeper is more of a pain because it is so big and it would be hard to use it in tight places. Go to your exmark dealer and ask to see the bagger for walk behinds and get it.
2003 Exmark Metro 36'' Deck 15hp
Echo Handhelds
Old 10-29-2008, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
is it REALLY a lot of leaves that it leaving behind? I mean, no matter how good of a job you do cleaning leaves, theres always going to be a few strays that blow onto the lawn from a neighbors yard or from a tree by the time you leave anyway, so whats the difference really? I think you're also asking for an accident and hurting yourself with this thing the way you are talking about doing it.

Now, I'm not engineer (or artist for that matter) but what about something like this, where you have a stand-on style sulky that attaches to the mower in a "hard mount" way so that it does not pivot like a conventional one would, and then have a shaft coming out of it that would pull the leaf picker-upper thing and allow it to pivot off the sulky. I don't think you would want it to pivot in 2 places because it would get too out of control. I also think doing something like this will undoubtedly make your mowing rig a lot longer and really decrease your maneuverability.

You can't hard mount the sulky to the mower unless you use castors for the wheels. Hard mounting won't allow the unit to turn without casters that act independently.

Hitching something to the back of a sulky may work even if it pivots in two places. I doubt that you will be backing up much anyways.
2 mowers
2 trimmers
1 blower
2 gas cans
1 rake
Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

get an accelerator. blow everything to the center mulching it as muchas possible.Then use the Accelerator to pick up what's left. Simple.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
There are attachments for walk behinds for leaves. The collection barrel and vac goes above the engine. Not sure who makes it but i have seen them around here.
Here it is...

http://www.trac-vac.com/index_files/Model470.htm

Old 10-29-2008, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all of the comments and good ideas.

In particular, the trac-vac (as well as a simple bagger) seems to be a relatively low-cost solution that would work well. The only problem is, if there aren't a lot of leaves, the mower tends to blow them away rather than sucking them under. It would also probably have helped if I had mentioned that I had already purchased the lawn sweeper. I probably should have done my research first!

As far as the sulky goes, as FDuce noted, the hard-mount wouldn't work without its wheels being able to pivot since it would otherwise scrape sideways everytime you made a turn. I am an engineer and I don't see a problem with dual pivots until I have to back up. Fortunately, I don't really have any areas where I have to.

I guess the worst-case scenario is that I just resell the yard sweeper and purchase one of the add-on ones made for a walk-behind.

Any other thoughts or options?

Thanks,
CJ