Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-04-2000, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm currently looking at a JohnDeere GS series walk behind. Does anyone have experience with these machines? Clients in my area seem for the most part to insist on the clippings being removed. How well do the mulching kits work on these and for that matter other brands of machines?<br>Thank-you<br> Lance<br>
Old 01-04-2000, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't have any experience with the John Deere walk behinds, but most of the walk behinds I have used mulch just fine, unless the grass is real tall. In the spring time, I bag almost everything, after that we mulch until fall. If there isn't much growth, I suggest mulching. Recycling or mulching grass leaves behind fertilizer for the client and saves you bagging time and dump time.
Old 01-05-2000, 04:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Even without bagging or mulching, going over the lawn with a walkbehind blower will give you the look of a bagged/mulched lawn without having to haul the stuff away.<p>I mulch all year round, but in the spring also need to blow the lawns with heavy growth.<p>Bill
Old 01-05-2000, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a GS 25. It's 36&quot; with 121/2 . It does a great job of distributing the clippings. Most lawns look real good with bagging. Walk the lawn with your blower if clippings are real heavy.
Old 01-05-2000, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I educate customers about the horicultural benifits of leaving the clipping in the turf. We pick-up in the spring for the 1st 2 cuts and only around pools & small &quot;front office&quot; areas after that.
Old 01-05-2000, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean by &quot;walkbehind blower&quot; and &quot;walk the lawn with a blower?&quot; Are you talking about a two-wheeled debris blower, usually used for leaf removal?<p>I have an 8HP Lesco two-wheeled debris blower I use for leaves. Are you suggesting that with heavy clippings left on the lawn the blower will help &quot;bury&quot; them? I have an Exmark 36&quot; wb mower, and striping the lawn back and forth with discharge mode does a good job of distribution. But, the clippings lay &quot;on top&quot; and will turn brown, if heavy enough. I've never thought of using the blower - or am I missing the point of your message? <p>Also, if the clippings are that heavy, the grass must be growing rapidly and is probably a nice green color, and has good texture. The back/forth striping leaves it looking good. To use a wheeled blower across these stripes will leave marks.<p>Hey - I'm tired of bagging too!!! I have many bagging customers, hauling away the clippings. And, I'm looking for ways to eliminate the bagging part. Next Spring, I hope to try the double blade idea discussed in other threads. My limited experience this past Fall was very encouraging. I have a mulching kit for my Exmark, but it takes too long to mount/dismount.
Old 01-05-2000, 03:38 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Roger, I think you read Bill's post right. I have noticed a lot of guys using back pack blowers to blow the clippings. What I have found is just mowing it a second time will work better, faster, and easier. I explained the way I get rid of clippings in an article on page 7 of my website. Feel free to check it out. I don't pick up clippings anymore. <p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html
Old 01-05-2000, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We &quot;double-cut&quot; all our properties every week. It gives a more thourough cut and cross-cutting leaves a better look from all directions. If we still have clippings, we raise the back of the mower 1/2&quot; and mow a 3rd time. This is faster and better than blowing. We've also tried the &quot;double blade&quot; on each spindle, (or discharge only spindle) and that's ineffective.
Old 01-06-2000, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

using a blower will not affect striping if you follow the way you mowed. I find the blower works better if you only have a small area that needs further clipping reduction, double-cut is easier over a wider area where there are fewer turns to disturb the &quot;stripe&quot;<p>Here in central CT using a blower is almost universal to distribute clippings due to the high cost of disposal. Some of the guys with Walkers also have a place to dump the stuff just blow the walks and driveways.<p>Anyway my observation is, with a two-or three-man crew the trimming is done before the mowing is finished, then a man grabs the blower and its all done by the time the mower is back on the truck.<p>Its also not practical with some machines to change blade height in the field.<p>Bill
Old 01-06-2000, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

3 years ago I switched from bagging to mulching. What customers are willing to pay here made it a neccessity. to much time and money into bagging and disposal.<br> I'll bag the first time in spring and the last time in fall, for cleanup. After that it is strictly mulching. sometimes have to mow more than once, if the grass is heavy. Only on occasion do I need to blow some of the mulch around.<br> I've found that in this small community that mulching is the only way to go, money wise. If a customer wants their lawn bagged I send them elsewhere.<br> I've also found that after mulching for three years that my customers fertilizer needs have dropped.<br> A lot of them are only needing fertilized once a year now. Which is great for me, because I personnally don't like to fertilize. (might be lazy) LOL