Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2002, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
BigJim, I got some Claritin from Downunder

Or as it's spelled in New Zealand "Claratyne". It's all the same thing, 10 mg of loratadine.

I can't mow without Claritin hay fever medicine. It's the only kind that doesn't make me drowsy.

But in the US it's still a prescription medication. It costs $78 (US)for 30 tablets here.
It's $21.94 (US) from New Zealand. That price includes delivery to my door.

Took less than a week to get here.
I bought 90 tablets from www.netpharmacy.co.nz

Thanks Mate! Isn't the internet great!
At the prevailing exchange rate of $2.37(US)/$1(NZ) that Walker mower must have cost you a fortune!

Dave
Old 02-02-2002, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep New Zealand the land of Hayfever sufferers,I've suffered since I was a kid,tried every medicene and pill over the years,had a operation a few years back thats helped,but now I just live with it.Mowing lawns aint the best career choice either.I can buy those pills down the local pharmacy/drug store here no need to see a doctor,a chemist can sell a lot of medicenes here they save you going to the doctor all the time,about NZ$20 packet(US$8.35).
Walker Prices here approximately
11hp=US$7,093
16hp=US$10,014
20hp=US$15,439
Old 02-02-2002, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's also available over the counter in Canada - haven't tried to mail order it as I'm pretty close to the border although my neighbor just got a box of Cuban cigars in the mail from Canada the other day. It might be easier to get it shipped or mailed to you than take it through customs at the border. The last time I went through, in November it took two hours but they didn't inspect us although you never know. You can also buy high capacity magazines for certain rifles in Canada [my neighbor got one of those in the mail the other day, too] which strikes me as odd because of their restrictive gun laws but the rules don't make much sense anyway do they?
Will M>
Old 02-03-2002, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Member

BigJIm;

Thanks for the reply. Those prices seem somewhat comparable to what we see here. The killer for you would have to be the exchange rate. With the open border policy the US now has, I think that'll level out somewhat.

Could I ask you about your surgery for hay fever? I've never heard of that.
I just had surgery for snoring called Laser Uvulectomy.
I went to Vancouver BC, Canada to have it done because it was so much cheaper. Less than $1,000 total including the travel costs.

Mr.Ziffel

I brought back some Claritin from Canada. No problem at the border. Said they were for personal use. We had 48 boxes (2 years supply). I see several Pharmacies in Canada do mail order business.

Seattle to Vancouver is certainly a beautiful area.

Now I just have to get some ibuterol for my son's asthma if he's going to be mowing this summer. I better learn how to spell it or I'll never find it. LOL

Thanks for your responses.

Dave
Old 02-03-2002, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That surgery that was mentioned is called a Deviated Septum.. Many of my relatives have gone through this aganizing ordeal.. I was going to do it when I was younger but it was too expensive.. And it's only expected to last a few years.... No thanks.. I'll use it as a last resort.. What they do is widen the nasel passages so they dont block off air flow.... I also use Claratin.. And I too have been suffering since I was knee high to a grasshopper... Claritan seems to be the best that I have tried, and I've tried them all.. I am really sensitive to medication for this not to bother me ,, I'm psyched , especially since it restores my breathing to normal....
Old 02-03-2002, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker Prices

Yo.... $15K for a 20hp walker is insane....... In the US , well at least in NJ ,they are under $9K.......... For the MT with the 20hp and GHS system , 42" deck...
Old 02-03-2002, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the info !! Without claritin i'm outa' business. With my prescription plan I get 30 pills for $20 but I have to go to the dr. every so often to get a renewal. My son also takes them so I'm going to just order quantity to save hastle w/ drs.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

SCAPEASAURUSREX

Thanks for the info on the Deviated Septum surgery. Doesn't sound like it's for me!

We've ordered some inhalers for Doug's asthma.
3 for $28
locally they're $39 each!
http://www.4cnrs-asthma-allergy.com/ventolin.html

Did you notice BigJim's post said those prices were US currency.
According to that receipt I got form the pharmacy, $1 US is equal to $2.37 New Zealand.
That'd mean a 20 hp Walker would cost him $36,000!
Unless folks downunder are paying hundreds to have their lawn mowed, that would really bite!

How about it Jim. Do I have it all confused or what?

jeffex, Glad to be of some help.

Dave
Old 02-04-2002, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep thats correct US$1=$2.39 NZ,$1NZ = .41cUS
Walker Prices in NZ$
11hp=$17,000
16hp=$24,000
20hp=$37,000
20hp with HiLift Catcher=$46,000
26hp=dont even ask

A new Japanese 4door Sedan=$29,000
Average house lawn here =$25
That septum surgery aint painful,they put you to sleep to do it,makes a big difference,especially if you get headaches with the hayfever.Painful is a sinus flush,thats real exciting.Dr said if the septum surgery wasn't sucessful they would look at operating on the sinuses,I said no thank you!I'll put up with it.Here we live by the sea,fresh sea air helps wonders too.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Member

BigJim

I understand about the sinus flush. They can be painful when the sinuses are inflamed.

I used to be married to a woman who had terrible sinus condition.
She found a sinus doctor in Springfield Ohio who claims to have invented the procedure called sinus irrigation.
They would have her lay on her back on a bench.
Her head would bend backwards over the end of the bench.
Then they would pour salt water in one nostril and pump it out the other with a little vacuum pump.
She would have this done as much as once a week.
When her sinuses started clearing up it was on longer painful to her to have this done.
She got to where she could do this at home using a rubber bulb syringe.
Instead of vacuuming the water out, she would sit up and blow the water out of her nose.

I can do this to myself in the bathroom. I just stand in front of the sink with my head tilted back.
Then use a squeeze bulb to flow tepid salt water in my nose.
Then tilt my head down and blow the water (and dirt) into the sink.
It's not the least bit painful unless I do something like grind rust all day without a respirator.
But even when I use a respirator I have to flush my sinuses.
It amazes me the crud thet gets past the respirator.
With this procedure plus taking Claritin, I no longer get sinus headaches.

I'll apologize for this post. It's probably a LOT more information than you ever wanted.
I had to reconsider posting my personal hygene habits on the internet too.
But if someone can use this, there it is. Like I've seen posted on here before, "works for me."

Dave