Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2002, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Connecticut info needed

Brand new here. Good day everybody!
I have some questions--to say the least. They are numerous and may come with no simple answers, therefore, I will number them and thank anyone in advance who shares their information.
First, I will explain my situation as quick and as brief as I can. I live in Connecticut. I own my own winter business. Home Heating Oil distribution. A tough business to get started in, many regulations and standards. As I am sure what I am about to ask has. I need steady summer work. I would like to get into fertilizing lawns--just a one man operation. Perhaps, in time, sooner rather than later, I would like to get into pesticides. Here are my questions:

1. Is a license needed for fertilizing, liquid or granular?
2. What department should I contact for info?
3. Does anyone here have a Ct. pesticide lic.? What requirments are needed?
4. If I advertise for fertilizing, granular or liquid? I am looking for a 100 gallon tank with a reel hose and a 12v moter on a trailer. Any comments? Suggestions?
5. I would like to advertise in the newspaper for a one shot fertilizer application for a one time price, after i get there I will try for a multi-step application. Any suggestions on what that price should be.
6. I am looking for as much info as possible. Books, websites for sprayers, supplies, pricing, weeds, different grasses, different fertilizers, etc.
7. Does anyone have a ballpark idea on a price for a 100 tank with a sprayer on a trailer? Any good websites other than a good one I found already: Westheffer.
8. Can straight fertilizing be a steady business with good dividends? Opinions? Experiences?

That's it for now. (Thank God, right?) Thanks again advance!!

Tommy M.
Old 02-02-2002, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Your going to love this state. NOT!

log onto this site CONNECTICUT CLIC they have all license information you will need.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-03-2002, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That site looks helpful if you know what you are looking for. In the meantime, I can make some suggestions here, and if you send me an e-mail I can put you in touch with more helpful information off the forum. There is a show coming up in Hartford, sponsored by the Connecticut Grounds Keepers Association - February 28. I can also send you that information.

1. Is a license needed for fertilizing, liquid or granular?
2. What department should I contact for info?
3. Does anyone here have a Ct. pesticide lic.? What requirments are needed?

You need to register with the Department of Revenue Services for a sales tax and use certificate, but do not NEED a Department of Enviornmental Protection (DEP) registration to fertilize only. However, there is a $1000 mandatory fine for unlicensed applicators. That means in short, that if you advertise or perform 'weed' or 'pest' or 'insect' control without the proper registrations, you pay a grand, then cease and desist.

To apply pesticides, granular, liquid, or otherwise - you need to get a license with the DEP. The company needs to register as a business - B#, then on the B# - registration you supply the name of your supervisor - S#. The S# - is obtained by taking the turf and ornamentals, or custom grounds test through DEP. It is a written and oral exam. I can help you with that requirement and direct you to the right people for information. Any employees who work for the supervisor need operators licenses - which are basically obtained after safety and general knowledge tests.

4. If I advertise for fertilizing, granular or liquid? I am looking for a 100 gallon tank with a reel hose and a 12v moter on a trailer. Any comments? Suggestions?
5. I would like to advertise in the newspaper for a one shot fertilizer application for a one time price, after i get there I will try for a multi-step application. Any suggestions on what that price should be.
6. I am looking for as much info as possible. Books, websites for sprayers, supplies, pricing, weeds, different grasses, different fertilizers, etc.
7. Does anyone have a ballpark idea on a price for a 100 tank with a sprayer on a trailer? Any good websites other than a good one I found already: Westheffer.
8. Can straight fertilizing be a steady business with good dividends? Opinions? Experiences?

You will need a more comprehensive marketing plan, and overall plan before launching that sort of business. Most people who want fertilizer don't care whether it is granular or liquid - we sell and use both. Both when pesticides enter the arena - different products behave more effectively in one form or another. Finding a competitively priced100 gallon tank in my opinion isn't the solution for you now. People will want all the steps, but pricing them can be tricky - especially without experience - let alone mistakes in math - pricing chemicals or fertilizers at different application rates and labor requirements is difficult. Do you intend to compete with bigger companies or offer some sort of special product? Do you have a niche market? Are you going to target landscape companies or end users as customers? Have you figured out what demand is in your area? By the way, where is your area. I am in the New Haven area.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Tom,
Phil's got it going. Contact Linda Schmidt at CT DEP at (860) 424-3369 to make your appointment to take the Supervisory 3A pesticide applicators lisence test. You need to get a copy of the Cornell Pesticide Core Training Manual & the 3A supplement. Uconn Storrs sell copies, or ask Linda when you call her. That will get you started. Drop me an e-mail when you need more help. I know most of the course sponsors & we host a couple courses ourselves.

Hey Phil,
Small world huh? I tried to call you in the fall & couldn't get through. You available for another meet?

Steve Jepsen
sls247@lesco.com
Old 02-04-2002, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thanks to all for the help. Phil, I sent you an email with a couple more questions. You guys got me going in the right direction.

Steve, funny enough, I found the Cornell tutorial the day after my post--spent half the night downloading and printing. Stll didn't get the whole thing. Not sure what the 3A supplement is. Also, I noticed you were from Stratford. Same here. Check out the Connecticut Post or the Stratford Star. My Oil company is in there. Frosty Fuel. Great price for oil. If you need some I'll do even better. Same for you, Phil. I don't usually go into New Haven (West Haven?), but I'll make a trip. I appreciate the help--all three who responded to my post.

Thanks, Tom
Old 02-13-2002, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hartford show

Say hello to Allen from Lesco Stratford at Hartford show. Ed