Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn vacuum recomendations??

Hey everyone.....I'm looking to purchase a walk behind lawn vacuum for leaf removal jobs this fall.....I've found very limited info/choices doing online searches. I've found some info on D&R, Snapper......can anyone reccomend a model? I' looking for the walk-behinds. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

www.trac-vac.com

not sure if it is exactly what u r looking for but i hear they work really well and chop it up 10:1 after the blades...around $1000.00, fit almost any mower, minor modifications might have to be made...
Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are looking for one of the actual vacuums that are walk behind, don't waste your money.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I tried a Billygoat a few months ago and wasn't that impressed. I tried out a Little Wonder last week and decided that it's the machine. I had the hose attachment to suck up shrubbery clippings and that thing is a monster-it sucks up long clippings with ease and didn't once clog. In fact, you have to be careful not to suck up all the pinestraw which is a good problem.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have the Snapper. It's better for hard surfaces. Doing major leaf jobs will only frustrate you. If you do use it on big leaf jobs, it will work better if you save it for the last little bit to manicure the area. Tony

Also, the Snapper has plastic wheels which will break. I bought wire spoke wheels from Ace hardware to replace my broken wheels.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Stay far away from the DR................it's a total POS!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries's Avatar
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries is offline
Sponsor

Don't forget to review the various models that Billy Goat offers. We offer self-propelled models on all the vacuums we produce. All the other manufacturers mentioned can't say that at all. That self-propelled comes in really handy when your bag is full or you've got hillsides to deal with. Also, our KV and MV series have no cumbersome zippers to deal with and we make our own wheels so durability is never in doubt. The hose kit on our units are on-board so you don't have to take off the intake nozzle to use it. It saves time and hassle and lost parts.

Let me know if you have any questions I can answer for you.

Drew
Old 09-17-2008, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Force View Post
Don't forget to review the various models that Billy Goat offers. We offer self-propelled models on all the vacuums we produce. All the other manufacturers mentioned can't say that at all. That self-propelled comes in really handy when your bag is full or you've got hillsides to deal with. Also, our KV and MV series have no cumbersome zippers to deal with and we make our own wheels so durability is never in doubt. The hose kit on our units are on-board so you don't have to take off the intake nozzle to use it. It saves time and hassle and lost parts.

Let me know if you have any questions I can answer for you.

Drew
The hose kit I used on the Billy Goat was extremely thin and easy to tear-transparent actually! The suction was nothing compared to the Little Wonder and it clogged so many times on clippings I lost count. Although, I do agree with the self-propelled. However, the last thing that happened was that the engine stalled and I couldn't restart it-self propelled wasn't much good when I had to push it back uphill to the truck.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I used the new Billy Goat KV vacuum and thought it worked great. Don't know why Johnnybravo8802 wasn't impressed? Maybe the material he was trying to pick up was wet, or maybe the unit was an older model with issues, like a bad impeller or something. The KV I used even has a little on board 2" chipper, which I found very handy for branches too big for the unit to actually vacuum up. The bag is cool because they don't use a zipper, just a couple of clamps. Find a dealer and take a look, maybe he will let you demo it, like my dealer did.