Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-16-2008, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

quick trans. question

im putting this quick question on the heavy equp. topic because the "knowledgeable" ones seem to hang out here.

im looking at two c7500 gmc's. both have 3126 cats, one has a 6 speed manual and one has a 5spd with a two spd rear. what trans would be a better set up?
or should i just hold up my dress and buy a alison auto so the new guys can run it, i have heard they are well built and tuff as hell these days.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso Services View Post
im putting this quick question on the heavy equp. topic because the "knowledgeable" ones seem to hang out here.

im looking at two c7500 gmc's. both have 3126 cats, one has a 6 speed manual and one has a 5spd with a two spd rear. what trans would be a better set up?
or should i just hold up my dress and buy a alison auto so the new guys can run it, i have heard they are well built and tuff as hell these days.

Depending on what the hp rating the 3126 is set at, and depending on the price, I might get the Allison. That said, the next choice would be a 6 speed. Real easy to drive even for a rookie. I would not consider the 5/2, unless it was so cheap that you could justify changing out the tranny. the gear ratio will be a factor on these trucks with such limited tranny choices. I am guessing that it is around 300 hp?

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

they are both rated at 250hp, does any one know if you can "turn up" a 3126.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso Services View Post
they are both rated at 250hp, does any one know if you can "turn up" a 3126.
Run away from it. Look at International's or maybe something with a Cummins.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would like a pete 335 or a t300 but im afraid $ may not permit that at this time. i have drove a few 2006 c7500 and they seem to be a well built truck.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not trying to be difficult, buying my Kodiak is one of my worst business decisions and don't want any one to go through that. The motor was a black hole of money. It had the 3116 but the 3126 is more complicated.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have never owned a CAT powered anything. It all been Cummins (444, L-10's) and now a MACK.

I can speak for buying a single axle. I started with one. It seemed like a good idea at the time, in retrospect it was not. If you move any material at all there is no reason to buy a single axle. A tandem will allow you to grow your business. The added payload will more than cover the added cost of tires. Fuel is much the same at least that is my experience.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

thats the thing i dont really move that much material, more of a pulling truck. im a landscaper remember so a load of trees or a load of mulch or a trailer of stone or a ct332 is the norm. dont get me wrong i run into extra dirt on jobs but never more then 20 yards.

im still wanting to build my idea of a single axle with a 10' enclosed box behind the cab and then a 12' mulch dumper or sng behind the enclosed box. im just scaired to do it and have it ride all crazy because the front wheels arnt touching the ground with the weight so far back.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

piccaso i have allison autos with cat engines in all 3 of my ford dump trucks they been holding up real good for me
Old 09-16-2008, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My buddy is a diesel mechanic and has worked on a lot of on highway Cat, Cummins, Detroit, and Mack motors. He likes the bigger Cats, but he says the smaller ones in medium duty trucks are junk. He says they're really pissy, rarely put out what they're rated for and not much in the way of juicing them up, and a they're PITA to work on and keep running 100% of the time. He said Cummins will give a better package when it comes to medium duty power options. I'd go that route if you can.

Not really my opinion, but my buddy has some experience so when I asked, that's what he told me.

Go hard, go fast, or go home