Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2008, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

aerating/seeding price

I'm looking to buy a 3pt hitch Ryan aerator for large yards and ballfields. I plan on aerating agressively and then broadcast the seed with my Z and then drag.

I have 3.2 acres of ballfields all in one complex
I plan on applying 4lbs/1000 P Rye in the process.
Aerate with ryan aerator

$2200

I will fertilize, thats taken care of in their yearly contract, price above dosen't include fert
Old 09-16-2008, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

i have been pricing my aeration/overseed jobs at about $30/1k sf. Large jobs I go down slightly. I just bid a 122,000 sq ft yard today at about 3500. Same seeding rate as you also, just using mix of blue/rye
Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Im with "Viseras" on the price. I charge $30 per 1K sqft. If my math is correct... 44K per acre x 3 acres (or about) = 132 x $30 is $3960. So giving a discount for such a large job, just like Viseras, you should have charged much more, at least somewhere near $3000. I woulda tried to get $3500.

just my 2 cents
Old 09-17-2008, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys. I haven't given a them a price yet.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athletic field View Post
I'm looking to buy a 3pt hitch Ryan aerator for large yards and ballfields. I plan on aerating agressively and then broadcast the seed with my Z and then drag.

I have 3.2 acres of ballfields all in one complex
I plan on applying 4lbs/1000 P Rye in the process.
Aerate with ryan aerator

$2200

I will fertilize, thats taken care of in their yearly contract, price above dosen't include fert
Just sad...
Another example of a "poor man's renovation job."

Core aerators by themselves were never intended from the get-go to be seed preparation instruments. It's just a cryin' shame that the green industry as a whole has evolved this very functional maintenance procedure toward this low-ball (and "low-bid") annual practice since the practice of core aeration began to permeate away from it's golf course origins of the late 60's and early 70's.

I recommend that you find yourself a decent slicing machine, and slice the field after it's been aerated.
That way you'll be planting the seed directly with the vertical cuts, AND you'll be increasing the seed to soil contact % dramatically, because you'll of course be chopping up the deposited cores too, as you go along dropping the seed and slicing.

With all due respect, Athletic Field, using the method you described....you'll likely be burying and /or destroying an extremely high % of your seed!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your 2 cents Marcos.

I know a lot of golf courses who aerate and seed without a seeder. they do well. Sorry that I may not be as econmonically incline as you and have to do it this way (poor man's way). Yes I have worked for large companies that had all of the equipment, aerators, seeders etc. and understand that a seeder is nice, but not essential. Aeration makes a great seed bed, I don't care about the original intent of it. If it works it works. I'm a Penn State Grad and all the profs stress this when seeding. You can't keep tilling a field like farmers do when they plant? Aerating is how we get around that. And I wasn't looking for smart ass coments. So why waste your time talking to me, if your so much better?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2008, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athletic field View Post
Thanks for your 2 cents Marcos.

I know a lot of golf courses who aerate and seed without a seeder. they do well. Sorry that I may not be as econmonically incline as you and have to do it this way (poor man's way). Yes I have worked for large companies that had all of the equipment, aerators, seeders etc. and understand that a seeder is nice, but not essential. Aeration makes a great seed bed, I don't care about the original intent of it. If it works it works. I'm a Penn State Grad and all the profs stress this when seeding. You can't keep tilling a field like farmers do when they plant? Aerating is how we get around that. And I wasn't looking for smart ass coments. So why waste your time talking to me, if your so much better?

Thanks
Hey, sorry!
Just trying to save you time in the long run, and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm $0.025 per square foot aeration. Our average lawn is about 20k here so $500 + seed.
7'x18' Custom Open Trailer
7'x12' Big Tex Open Trailer
8.5'x24' King American Enclosed
2006 Grasshopper 928D 61" (4,700 hrs!! )
2011 Grasshopper 930D
2005 JD 737 60"
Snapper 21" Hi-Vac Commercial
Lawnboy 21" Duraforce x2
Shindaiwa: T2500 | T231 | T242 | LE261 | EB630RT | 488 | DH2510 | RS76S
Tanaka: TBC-255PF | TBC-280PF | TPH-270PF
Fisher 8'6" Extreme V SS
Old 10-08-2008, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Marcos, I understand exactly what you're saying about aeration not being the proper seed placement task. What it is, is a time saver if you can get a good result. You eliminated a part of the process. I tried this this year. Tell me what you think:

1 Aeration 3 ways
2 Drag with a infield drag
3 Seed, fert, lime
4 topdress sand and soil mix
5 Drag again
Old 10-10-2008, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Beagle that is plenty fine

I charge $40 per K this includes the following services

1. Mow yard at 1.5 or 2"
2. Dethatch and bad tatch with baggin unit.
3. Aerate with core areator two directions core depth 2"
4. Fertilize with 12-18-12 starter fertilizer
5. Slit seed with Helena Tri-power blue 90%fine fescue 10%KBG at rate of 5lbs per K
6. Collect money and instruct customer on proper watering.

I don't care if they mow the day I show up I will mow anyway so that I can bag clippings and thatch steps 1&2 are done with a walker GHS 48" mower.