Register free!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardscaping View Post
no grid needed for this wall, not big enough.
I put grid in all of my walls. Grid isnt that much and takes hardly any extra time to install. Its piece of mind.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if your knew you were using pavers on the job why didn't you choose a paver with a matching wall? AB never matches any pavers.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

because the wall was built then the home owner was going to put paver slabs down so i convinced him after the wall that it won't look good unless it has that done to it. The wall product was also bought before i even quoted the job i only got payed to install them.

also the pavers match as close as you can get to that wall.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

grid in this wal is overkill, waisted money and time. there is alot more time involved in installing grid when you dig the wall by hand with only you and one other person.

If it required grid i wouldve put it there but wouldve had to rent a mini excavator to dig the wall out. That is extra dollars.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumLandCon View Post
This isn't brutal??
I never said it looked perfect..

It's certainly not the best install, as I've said. I just see so much horrible crap out there...

But yea, now that you point out the details... treads/walkway not lining up... wtf? If they wanted room for the garden why not make the stairs narrower?

And the pavers... ya.... no ******* clue what's going on with the pattern there.. :|

Nonetheless, I still have to give the guy some credit for coming here and at least trying to gain some knowledge to do things right. Looks like he should have just come here a little sooner
Old 12-19-2008, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

there is nothing wrong with this wall. i think it looks just fine.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Lightbulb

Good suggestion there from Mrusk on the fabric. Spongey ground is due to high moisture content. What is the soil composition? The plus side is it will dry out and firm up, unless you are in Seattle or Portland.
I'm a California Licensed Landscape Contractor, so here's my 2 cents:
What is the wall made of? Did you use Amerdrain or Miradrain to capture the moisture on the earthen side of the wall? And, what about a 3" perf. drain liner at the bottom of the wall on the inside? -that should be covered with fabric and gravel then fabric and more gravel, if you are getting that much moisture after rain there best to install a drain line to capture it. Check the NDS Website for sub-drain options.

Clay, Sand? DG? shale? Rock? I've found that by mixing in 20% to 50% organic compost in with native soil, it will modify the soil to give up the moisture that clay soils retain and it almost immediately becomes stable. For example, generally: A good soil mix is 40/40/20 40 topsoil/40 organic/20 sand for drainage and growing things.
Best soil mix for compaction is engineered fill -screened to lay in at 85% compaction and can achieve 95% with tamping.
You should be able to find this type through a local engineering contractor's outfit and can usually buy direct -they'll deliver.
Good day and Hope this helps you out.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
there is nothing wrong with this wall. i think it looks just fine.
people have pointed out obvious flaws. nobody is perfect...
Old 12-25-2008, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
grid in this wal is overkill, waisted money and time. there is alot more time involved in installing grid when you dig the wall by hand with only you and one other person.

If it required grid i wouldve put it there but wouldve had to rent a mini excavator to dig the wall out. That is extra dollars.
Wasted time and money? You mean to tell me you didnt put it in there because you dug it all out by hand? So if you dug it out with a machine you would have used it? Job should be done right whether you dig it with an excavator or with a teaspoon. Maybe grid wasnt needed in this wall, but to say it takes too much time is ridiculous IMO.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btammo View Post
Wasted time and money? You mean to tell me you didnt put it in there because you dug it all out by hand? So if you dug it out with a machine you would have used it? Job should be done right whether you dig it with an excavator or with a teaspoon. Maybe grid wasnt needed in this wall, but to say it takes too much time is ridiculous IMO.
Then I guess there's no drainage backfll because they dug out bare minimum to put the block in. If there's no $$ to install correctly, don't to it. Everyone will lose in the end.