Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2002, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you put on your Flyers?

Hello, I am starting up mowing business and would like any information that might be helpful in getting some jobs... I have purchased my equipment and now I just need the jobs... I have no other option but to make this work because I was laid off from my job...so any information would be greatly apprecieated.
thanks
Old 02-03-2002, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can view ours at;
http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/Flyer.jpg

I highly respect the book, Guerilla Marketing Handbook, on all things related to marketing. In there, they say that the consumer needs a reason to call and a reason to call now. Hence, some sort of special offer, disount, free item, etc. is always a good idea on flyers. And puting an expiration date on it helps create the urgency. I'd say that's probably the most important thing to include in a flyer.

Otherwise, puting your phone number in large print is important. The word "FREE" is also a very important attention getter. Even if it's just a "Free Estimate!"

I am also of the opinion that you should list prices if possible. I know a lot of guys differ on this. But from a consumer's standpoint, it's nice to have at least an idea of what you might be paying if you call the company on the flyer.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-03-2002, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

CASCADE LAWN CARE

Residental & Commercial
Specializing in:

~ Weekly mowing ~ Mulch

~ Flowerbed maintenance ~ Fertilization

~ Aerating & Dethatching ~ Spring/Fall cleanup

FREE ESTIMATES
(253) 555- 4346

Licensed & Insured

Just list the services you provide and and maybe a slogan if you want. Hope this helps a little. This is the basics for me.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You can view ours at; http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/Flyer.jpg
What kind of response rate are you seeing off this flyer? I am curious at the response rate given you are putting $$$ on the flyers. I like the approach as a no BS approach.

jf
Old 02-04-2002, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We get excellent response on these. One of my clients suggested we put the prices on it years ago. And we get more response now than we did before. The good thing is that it pre-qualifies people before they call. Some people may look at that and thinl, "Sheesh! I can't afford $115 per month, all year!" Other people look at that and think, "Dang! Only $115 a month. That's nothin. I gotta call these guys and see if I qualify for that rate."

So those who call already expect to pay what we quote on the flyer. Fortunately for me, in the neighborhoods we target, I actually CAN do these services for the exact prices we list on the flyer. Some people have larger lawns and they expect that they'll have to pay more. But most people are pleased to find out that what we quoted on the flyer is exactly what we quote when we actually see their house. Then they are ready to sign up.

People like it when there are no surprises. That's why we get so many of those "Carpet cleaning - 3 rooms for only $69.99!" things in the mail. They work! People like to know what they are going to pay before they call.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-04-2002, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quotes on flyers

Jim,

How Exactly do you go about putting the cost of cutting the grass on the flyer. Do you Quote it as you put them out or make a quote on all lawns by size.....etc. In gernral how do you go about quoting you lawns because I'm interested in doing so on my next flyers. Also does anyone have any advice at when to put the flyers out. Thank you.

Aaron
Old 02-05-2002, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello guys,
just wanted to say I like jimlewis's flyer idea... But it HAS to be a BIG help that he is in an area that can manage WITHIN that $...
Unforunately in my area ... I vary from 4,000 - 2 acres jobs.
Might be a good way to "narrow" my lawn size though hmmm

Aaron: here in NJ we start advertising the End of Feb. - Beginning of March till Mid April (when everyone figures out how much they have to pay in taxes)

Bryan
Old 02-08-2002, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
I price or price range all my flyers. People are more comfortable calling if they know if its within their means, plus it eliminates most of the price hagglers. I do it pretty much the same way as Jim except I use 2 prices. Small to standard and oversize lots. This saves hours of estimating time.
Bryan, could you work a way to present your pricing formula to at least pre-qualify people? say a minimum for a certain lot size
4,000 sq ft to XX sq ft 45.00 to xx
10,000 sq ft to 30,000 xx to xx
1-2 acres xx to xx
The above prices cover most lawns. Grade and # of obsticales affect price.

anyway you get the idea, if your min. price for 10K ft is 65 and they are paying 35, you won't have to chase that quote or if they need somebody new they already know if you're priced in their range.
If it was my situation I'd try this approach. The simpler the better.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The great thing about computers these days is that you can produce different pieces of advertising for specific audiences much easier than you could before. A laser printer makes it affordable to print out 200 pieces for one area and another 75 targeted to another.

About putting pricing on your flyer - it's the norm in our area, and not what we do. But I understand that it works in some areas and particulary when you're selling to people that see the landscape services as a commodity and price is the determining factor.

Even in markets where price is the determining factor there will be those customers that don't respond to price, they want service or something different.

In our market service I believe is the determining factor. Price is always an issue, but I feel if you win them over with price, you'll loose them on price. If people come to you for service/relationship, they'll look the other way when someone comes knocking with an advertised lower price - usually. Depends on how happy they are with you and what the real determining factor is for their purchasing decision.

Bottom line... know your market and who you want to attract to your business. Who's your customer and how do they buy your product/service? Why do they buy from you? If all your customers tell you they came to you for your service, than advertising pricing may not be your best approach - in fact, you're probably not charging enough.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

PUT ALL OF YOUR CONTACT INFO...and FREE ESTIMATES!!!