Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-03-2002, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

whats a easy way to keep trac of time ?

i was thinking of useing a battery time clock on the trailer and have cards made for each property that has trimming , mowing ,edging ,blowing ,and cleanup that you could use at least four times . each time you grab a tool clock in .
this would help with estimating other jobs .
any other thoughts? i have tryed the pen and paper but it became a hassle,forgot to write time down or spend to much time wondering what i done with that pen and the whole time its behind my ear or some thing.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Palm Pilot for me!!!

I use my Palm Pilot to keep track of all information for jobs. It works great for me, and they keep data very well organized. I take down job time, not only entire time, but time for each mowing, trimming, blowing....ect....ect. I also keep all prices for the jobs I do. Then when it comes time to bill I simpily refer to the Palm for all the information. No guess work on if you put in those new mulch beds for Mrs. Jones on the 4th or 5th...or if you skipped Mr. Arnet's 3 weeks ago due to drought. Also works great for keeping track of materials and labor for landscape jobs. Then its just all right there when I need to recall it.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Palm Pilot

Are you using any special software to track time, or just the calendar that comes with it?

Kevin
Old 02-04-2002, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Time start time stop.

You try to get to spacific, it gets to tricky and hard to use since no 2 lawns are the same.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'am with LGF,I use old envelopes,keep a stack in the door of my truck,Time IN-Time Out thats it,maybe a side note if need be.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i use a reg 3 copy biling book. write starting time,finish time,
and any other things i need a record of.i dont even give a copy
to the customer,unless they need it.mostly just for my records.
later now.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Time start time stop.

You try to get to spacific, it gets to tricky and hard to use since no 2 lawns are the same.
if you keep trac of every thing and you know area of grass , area of beds and linear feet of edging ,and trimming you would know how long it takes and even if yards aint the same you can still make a bid with out losing.
i cant just eye ball a yard and guess i would rather know for shure what i can do .
Old 02-04-2002, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by rodney

if you keep trac of every thing and you know area of grass , area of beds and linear feet of edging ,and trimming you would know how long it takes and even if yards aint the same you can still make a bid with out losing.
i cant just eye ball a yard and guess i would rather know for shure what i can do .
Time is the essance of this industry. We are selling time and labor. So why make it more diffacult, and more complicated than it already is?

All times are written down, no matter what job is being preformed. We use a route or schedule sheet for every thing that is done. If it is some thing special, they get a time in, time out, and amount of materials sheet to fill out.

Mowing is filled out as crews. Most of the others are filled out as each employee.

I can get within 1/2 a shovel full of mulch by eye-balling it.

If I need a measurement I'll take one, but I'm selling time.