Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2008, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Till or aerate?

Brief background information:
I'm in the military and on the east coast for training. My home is in San Diego, where my girlfriend and 2 dogs currently live. I will be there for 3 weeks before leaving for Iraq in November and I would like to fix my lawn while I am there.

My front yard is fine, but the back yard (where the dogs stay when we are at work) needs help. It is approximately 6,000 sqft and is mostly dirt with patches of grass/weed. There is a large tree in the center of the property that gives about half of the yard shade most of the day. The rest of the yard is subject to sun all day long. We have tried overseeding with steady watering, but the water just puddles up and the seeds never take root. The dirt is fairly compact and have thought about aerating and trying overseeding again, but am wondering if it might be better to just till the whole yard and seed from scratch? I talked to a few people at lowes and home depot and they all suggested tilling in manure to help with the acidity of the soil... but mind you, I have 2 dogs that would undoubtedly track it inside. Also, I know that after I seed, I have to keep the dogs off the lawn until it has had a chance to take root.

I have thought about zoysa grass, but the thought of planting 12,000 plugs is overwhelming. I have thought about fencing off half the yard, tilling and seeding. Then after two weeks (hoping it's enough time for the seed to germinate), fence off the other half and do the same thing. I've also thought about sod, but .50/sqft is $3000, and that's a bit out of my price range.

Basically, I am out of ideas. Any advice on how to start a lawn from scratch in 3 weeks, while still allowing my dogs access to some of the back yard?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

What type of grass do you have now? Cool or Warm season?

Do you have the typical clay soil or is it similar to decomposed granite?
Old 09-20-2008, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

don't know what type of grass is planted now... i am fairly certain the soil isn't clay based.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Hard to say without seeing a pic but if it was my yard there is NO way I would till. I would triple (or more) aerate and slit seed. If I couldn't get ahold of a slit seeder then I would broadcast. The most common cool season grass in your area would be a fescue, I personally would throw in some perennial rye to get something up quick due to the dogs.

I would try to rope off the dogs' favorite routes/areas and hope for the best. In the past due to a client's budget we sodded 1000 sq.ft. for their dogs and seeded the other 7000.

There is also a local manufaturer that sells a product that might help with your 'puddling' problem. Let me know - I can get their number to you.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

here are some pics:
http://www.csh.rit.edu/~ep0ch/

Tags
aerate , pets , scratch , seed , till