Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-22-2008, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dirt Conveyor question

Well not really sure where this belonged, but I figured you guys might have come across these more than others. Maybe for loading trucks on small lots or something. Basically I got a client that had a company build him a few large walls, but they where never backfilled to full height. Long story short he needs a lot of fill. Maybe 150-200 yards. There is absolutely no access to the area with a loader. I saw a dirt conveyor at the local rental yard and it got me thinking.

There might be enough room to run a Mini track loader through the woods, but it would be hundreds of feet so this wont work for moving the material. I can get the MTL on top of the site, and my skid on the bottom. If I can get the conveyor to send material to the top then we are in business. Looking for at least 6-10 feet past the face of the wall. Wall is 7 foot at the lowest, and 12 at the tallest.

Conveyor is 21' long and has a 10" belt.

How fast can I move material on one of these. Any other suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2008, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We put elevator shafts in 5 old apartments about 10 years ago and rented them. We had to cut a hole in the basement, about 10' by 10' and hand dig the spoils in to the conveyor about 6' deep, the worked great, you lost about a third of the material. I would say that you could move quit a bit of dirt properly set up.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone in your area have a putzmeister telebelt? They are cool, can convey material 110 ft in any direction.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A slinger truck may also fit this job. Post a couple pics if you can!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have poured some concrete with some putzmeister telebelts, they really move the material.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

can you rent a petibone with a bucket on it?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure on the petibone, but I can get a versahandler. I think that may work and be a lot faster. We met today and are now splitting the job in 2 parts. There are 3 walls all accessible from the driveway. We are going to do the 2 hardest now. It will be 100 yards. If I can get it 8-10 feet past the wall face I'll be in good shape, but 6 will work. I assume that the conveyor will be slow and realistically move no more than a few yards an hour if that. I think the handler is the way to go. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

versahandler...petibone...they are all "telehandlers"...but i think that is your best option...you can really boom material with those things, regardless its going to take some time, but atleast its only 100 yards, if you get a big enough bucket/handler you can knock it out in a few hours
Old 09-24-2008, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go the telehandler route myself. They're pretty quick machines and fairly stable, not like you're going up terribly high, you should have no problems with the bucket. If you've never run one before, get a feel for it first, they're a little strange until you get used to them. Remember to always stay level with a load in the air and don't move the machine once you've started going up, biggest mistake made in a lot of forklift accidents.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 09-24-2008, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srDd2...eature=related

Take a look at this slinger truck. If it is near a driveway, they can have 15 tons of dirt inplace in the time it wil take you to unload a machine off of the trailer. Bid the job, finish fast and walk away with the easy cash!