Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Liteclip strip for c9's

I got a sample of these a few years ago from litesource and never really used them. anybody here tried them?

On commercial I used parapet clips up until a few years ago when I went to hotglue and silicone. I went away from parapet clips and v-shingle tabs because of the huge time of install and parapets disappearing and having to reglue 10% of them every year. This liteclip strip seems more likely to stay up year after year given it's greater mass and larger area to glue, and knowing how much faster v-tabs reinstall on parapets as compared to hotglue and silicone, I am hoping reinstall on these strips is just as fast. pricewise with clips it get's your attention, but I figure it will make up for it in labor and material savings over parapet install and replacement. let me know guys- this time I'm asking YOUR advice.

I'm looking at a 2000 plus bulb install on a commercial building, so don't hold back.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Sponsor

I just read thier website. Looks like about 50 cents perfoot for the clips and all, but it does look far faster. Right now I glue down the par clips and snap the shingle tabs on. this I bet takes less time and less glue. So I would guess this saves money over all.

I have the perfect building to try these on this year!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

it seems like it may be a lot of over kill? A lot more stuff to put up? But then I guess you would have space to manuever the clip if needed for slack, tightening...

also seems like it would stand out more than a par clip... would something such as liquid nails not be stronger than hot glue and silicone? I believe this may have been covered before with the time it takes to set... what about that one commercial wher the guy glued the hammer to the ceiling? What product was that?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The link is gone..........
Old 09-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Sponsor

http://www.liteclipstrip.com/
Old 09-24-2008, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

powergrab is the hammer to ceiling product- that is an indoor type construction adhesive. It has a high initial grab, but outdoors I would probably stick ( ha ha) to 100% silicone and masking tape to hold it initially. There is also a liquid nails product specifically for bonding plastic to metal, but for some reason, The plastic used in parapet clips are so slick on the back that they pop off really easy, no matter what you use.

Other things I like about the liteclip strip as opposed to parapets, no measuring, just lay it all out end to end, looks like saving a lot of time. 5 feet at a time verses one clip at a time. the clips that go on the c-9's or c-7's are flat, not L-shaped, so much less likely to tangle and you can get more on the spools we wind lights back up on. It also appears that the act of installing them, a push down, does not rip off the strips, unlike parapets a push out to go in the v-tab.

The big negative is the cost. I am looking at a building with close to 3000 feet or so, and liteclip verses parapet and shingle, about a 40% increase in cost of clips, somewhat offset by a decrease in labor this year and following years. It would be nice to find someone who have used these for 10 years to determine the durability.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Spoke with the inventor of liteclip today,was really impressed. He has had this out there for 10 years now, and it is impregnated with a very strong UV inhibitor. He has also been doing Christmas lights for around 20 years or so. really neat guy and I hope to have more conversations with him. After speaking with him I feel very confident in this system and will be trying it if I get this bid next week.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Sponsor

Do you have some pics of your demo clips you have? I have a commercial project to use these on, but would like to see a pic before I order them!
The more I read about them, the more I like the idea!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Don't have pics, but they are in the litesource catalog on page 21 I think. There is also a liteclip.com or something similar that has a technical drawing.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Sponsor

Yeah, I've seen both of those, I was just looking for a real life pic if you had one.