Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2002, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you guys File your Receipts (system)???

Hello All,
I just found this board & WOW ... "New Home for me"

My 1st of MANY ?'s is:
I'm new at this and need help laying out/organizing a filing system for Receipts??? This has been a problem/mess I NEED to fix this winter... can you guys please share some ideas to help me straighten up me desk?!

thanks,
Bryan
Old 02-05-2002, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First you must realize that any system is going to be personal. No one uses the same exact system.

Logically dealing with your paper is a challenge. We just recently bought a new file drawer so we could break out and divide up things that had previously been jammed into old folders that were not relevant anymore.

All of that is to say, your filing will change over time too as your needs change and as you learn your business.

Tell more... what are you trying to file? Receipts? Contracts? Invoices? Tax information? What type of business are you? How many customers are you handling? Do you use a computer? What do you use it for?
Old 02-05-2002, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Use an accounting program like Quicken or Quickbooks, and you will not have to have a filing system. Record everything properly at time of expenditure, then just keep receipts grouped by months. Never need to look at them again unless you get into a tax audit, so do keep them.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I use quickbooks enter info when bought and paid by supplier. Also use manual filing system with file cabinets and the like also according to supplier, store ect. time consuming but works for me
Old 02-06-2002, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

At the end of every day I enter my expenses into quicken. I also have a dedicated envelope for each months receips incase of an audit in the future! Using a program like quicken to keep track expenses not only provides you with a tool to track your expenses but also makes your accountants job easier....costing you less!
Old 02-07-2002, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use an accounting program like Quicken or Quickbooks, and you will not have to have a filing system. Record everything properly at time of expenditure, then just keep receipts grouped by months. Never need to look at them again unless you get into a tax audit, so do keep them.

That's what I do. I have an accordian file. I used hanging file folders, but small papers will fall out. At the end of each year, all receipts for each month get a paper clip, and stuck in a large envelope with all the rest of that years paperwork.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA