Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2008, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzalandscaping View Post
My Wright Standers do this also.. PAIN IN THE BALLS... according to Wright "maybe the blade pitch is off" blah blah... my blade pitch is spot on and they STILL do it... idk...
I have this problem with all 4 of my 48" mowers but my 61" leaves a perfect cut every time...
how old are your blades on the 48"s...bet they are starting to get rounded toward the ends. explains why all are cutting poorly, 61" im assuming doesnt use the same size blade...explains why its not. Buy a new set of blades for the 48" see if that fixes problem, if your going to stay in business you will need new blades eventually...they dont last forever!
Old 09-28-2008, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernlandscape343 View Post
No I haven't. I thought I would get some more information before I made a purchase. Should I be looking at the High lift or the magnum/high lift?
I get high lift gator mulching blades from Russo power equipment for like $780 a blade.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 09-28-2008, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

$7.80 didnt mean to scare you haha

SOLO OPERATION
Old 09-28-2008, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if your going to get gators(which is all i use) get oregons...seems they are the only ones worth a damn. I have tried other brands too. As far as the magnums go, i have a set but not impressed. like the highlift oregon gators. just my 2cents
Old 09-28-2008, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr mow View Post
if your going to get gators(which is all i use) get oregons...seems they are the only ones worth a damn. I have tried other brands too. As far as the magnums go, i have a set but not impressed. like the highlift oregon gators. just my 2cents
How much do those go for? I'd prefer sticking with a name like oregon, reliable and I'm sure they'll stick up for their product. I just looked and I have about a quarter of an inch at most between my two blades. I'll get the mower out tomorrow after I go to the dentist and take a picture or two of the blades now along with a tape measure so you can see how far apart they are. I just put the trailer back in the garage so I'm not really wanting to go back out and redo what I just did. Even pushed the trailer with all the equipment by hand back into the garage haha. Appreciate yall's help.
Craftsman 21" 7hp mower
Ariens LM22s 22" Walk behind mower
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer (2011)
Stihl FC 90R Edger (2011)
Stihl BR-600 (2012)
Husqvarna 125BT Backpack blower
Husqvarna 455 Rancher (professional chain)
Poulan "wild thing"
Proudly volunteering with Samaritan's Purse U.S Disaster Relief team since April, 2011

Insured by GLOCK
Old 09-28-2008, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you wont probably be able to tell by looking at the gap between blades. take a pic of your blades when off the mower, if there is an arc on the cutting edge...then your losing your blade tip(nothing you did, its from wear). hard for me to explain, im sure someone else can explain or has a pic of what im talking about. As far as prices on oregons, last set i bought was last year..dont really remember probably something like 15 to 20 a blade.?.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

blade tip does most of the cutting
Old 09-29-2008, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I called around and nobody had the oregons. So I went with the Gator high lift. Huge diffrence! I didn't have to double cut any yards today (cut 2) it did great on fescue too. Only problem was from me lol I accidently left my vise grips attatched to the spindle and started the mower up and engaged the blade. I knew right away something was wrong. huge amount of vibration, so the vise grips flew out from under the mower, the blad has a little dent in it, nothing too bad. Still cuts flawlessly. The vise grips on the otherhand haha were bent pretty badly and are an example of not double checking your work to make sure there are no tools left under the mower. Luckily I'm fine and the mower is fine other than a scratch under the deck. Ferris makes those decks bulletproof.
Craftsman 21" 7hp mower
Stihl BR-600 (2012)
Poulan "wild thing"
Proudly volunteering with Samaritan's Purse U.S Disaster Relief team since April, 2011

Insured by GLOCK
Old 09-29-2008, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well im glad to hear that worn blades was the problem. next question... your changing your blades with vice grips??
Old 09-29-2008, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

It was just to keep the spindle from turning as I tightened the bolt that holds the blade back down. I used my torque wrench for removing and tightening the bolts.
Craftsman 21" 7hp mower
Stihl BR-600 (2012)
Poulan "wild thing"

Insured by GLOCK

Tags
bad cut , ferris hydrocut , missing areas , stragglers