Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-30-2008, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Member

EXMARK Fuel Leak - Need Advise

I have a Exmark Lazer Z HP with the Kawasaki 21hp (FH641V). I have what I think is a fuel leak, and need some advise before I dig into it. My exmark shop charges $54 an hour, so if it is something as simple as a gasket, I think I can do it myself. I am pretty good with small engines, I am just not that familiar with this one.

The problem started when the other day the engine would not start. I had been running it for about half an hour, then I turned it off to do something, and it would not start back up. It sounded like it was not getting fuel. I ended up pushing it on the trailer and put it up for the day.
The next day, it started right up, I drove it around for a minute, then turned it off. I then realized that the rear of the engine was smoking. I also saw a puddle of some liquid, im guessing fuel, under the carberator. The liquid mixed quickly with the dirt so it made it hard to tell exactly where it was coming from. As I tried to clean it up, I stood ready with my fire extinguisher. The muffler finally cooled down and it quit smoking.

Before I make a expensive trip to the exmark shop, I wanted to try to find the source of the leak myself, and I need some advice about what it could be.
So before I go and take off the back engine guard, and the muffler, let me know what you guys might think it is. I am going to try to clean everything up first so I can identify the leak better. The fuel lines look ok, the area of leaking look mainly under the carb. What all gaskets and seal are here that I need to check? I turned the gas switch off, but it only leaked when the engine was running, so it sounds like it is somewhere where the fuel flows when engine is on. Is there anyway to find this leak without turning the engine back on, and risking a fire.

Thanks for your help guys.
Honda Commercial 21"
Stihl Pro Series FS80 Weedeaters
Stihl Pro Series Edger
Stihl BR600 & BR340 Backpack Blowers
Stihl Hedge Trimmer
7x16 Tandem Axle Enclosed Trailer
6x16 Open Landscape Trailer
1996 GMC Z71 PickUp
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 6.0 Diesel
Old 09-30-2008, 05:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a quick stab at it. Might be fuel line between tap and carb, or the needle is not seating in the carb. This would have remove the carb to clean thoroughly.

Good luck Phil