Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2008, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Some days I wish I had a cabover

I picked up a load of old busted up concrete from one of the neighbours what a pain in the backside, only 1000lbs worth. The driveway is tight and a truck like mine is barely can maneuver around. A regular cab pick up with a 8 foot box is tough in this driveway.

I thought I could turn around in a spot where you can back into and pull up the driveway and back into the carport nope not a chance I dropped the passenger side duallys over the concrete edge into the dirt and bush

I should have known better

I wiggle the truck back onto the driveway without too much problems. I know the landscaper gotten his cube van stuck really good in the same spot had to get 4x4 to pull the van. Salal bushes don't provide much traction but its been dug up so much its a little muddy.

The driveway is curved so you can't make the curve in one shot down into the carport. I get into the grass along the edge of the driveway tear some of that up

The driveway isn't flat of course has about a 12 percent grade and was never built for trucks like mine. There would be no way I could deliver a maxed out truck load of material the brakes wouldn't hold and way too much wiggling around to make the curve.

When the neighbours come back to their house they will know I have been there. Bandag gripper recaps make good dually tire fires on clean white concrete also rip up green grass nicely

As what I said somedays I wish I had a cab over like a LCF Ford or a Sterling. This place has been built over 30 years ago the driveway was built with a old trackloader. The newer houses built in the last 2-3 years have worse driveways people are building where ever they can.

The locker in the the diff really helps I can go places where my other trucks couldn't. I should have installed one in my previous trucks it would have made life alot easier when your going places that would challenge a 4x4. For today if my F-450 had a open diff I might have been calling a tow truck.

Lots of fun being in the rubbish removal business its a real challenge just trying to get to the job
Old 09-29-2008, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

count your blessings you don't drive a "real" truck... try putting a 10wheeler tank truck in areas they shouldn't be...i've had to back in driveways UPS drivers don't even go
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2008, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just be glad it ain't a Pete, they have the worst steering radius. What wheelbase is your truck GR?

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Just be glad it ain't a Pete, they have the worst steering radius. What wheelbase is your truck GR?
yea but they are the sexiest truck on the road...look at that shiny baby....you almost forget its a sh*t truck
Old 09-29-2008, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Digger2 View Post
yea but they are the sexiest truck on the road...look at that shiny baby....you almost forget its a sh*t truck

That's for sure, I love a nice Pete. I'm having a toss up right now between that and the new KW W900's, damn they are SEXY! Long ass hood, drop visor, huge drop bumper, 10" stacks 3 feet above the cab, LED deck lights, oh hell yeah.

There's a company around here that has 2 of them, I think they were new sometime last year. 1 of them was hauling for us a couple weeks ago, sexiest truck on the road by far. This one was jet black with matching box and pup, fully chromed, polished Alcoa's, LED lighting all down the side of truck and pup boxes, so sick.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 09-29-2008, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dirt Digger, that Pete is pretty.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh I have had tandem axle dump trucks in places I didn't want to go with a truck. The worst is when you only have one shot at backing into some of these places. Or your backing into a place where you look out the drivers window its a couple hundered foot drop to the bottom. Not much bothers me anymore you get used to working a tandem in bad spots. You have a cable to the front bumper of the truck to lower it down the driveway.

Like I mentioned before there were places you let the tailgate dogs go and the load slides out without even tipping the box. Places where you need the excavator to hold the truck from sliding down the hill. With the maxi brakes locked on the truck is sliding with the wheels locked up. The excavator has to push you back out. Most driveways now you need a 6x6 ADT a regular tandem with double axle locks has lots of trouble.

One place I did some hauling too the driveway is steep enough you need a load on the truck to get back down the driveway. With a empty trucks just stepping on the brakes would lock the drive wheels up and you would slide uncontrollably. Going down in low low would make the drive tires skip so you would roll and slide. The driveway is over 1/2 mile long.

There are lots of places where you need to put the truck truck in first gear and crawl at a slow even speed up the hill. Once the tandems start to jump you have to stop and either try start going again or back to the bottom of the hill and start over.

As for my F-450 it has a 165 wheelbase and a 11.5 foot deck. The older F-450-550 from 99-04 use leaf sprung front suspension they don't turn that great. Supposidly the newer 450 and 550s with the coil sprung front end turn sharper.

Nothing bothers me I know the limits of what a truck can do.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

You should see where the poo pumpers here have to go. Septic tanks are always in the worst spot. Some places they have to run 100 feet of suction line to even get near a tank. The pumper trucks here are not shiny mostly older trucks with screaming detroit power.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
You should see where the poo pumpers here have to go. Septic tanks are always in the worst spot. Some places they have to run 100 feet of suction line to even get near a tank.
yea you're tellin me

haha
Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Digger2 View Post
i agree!!! i would kill for a 335 with a rolloff system. i day dream about it everyday all day.