Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-29-2008, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

christmas lights

Hey first of all i want to thank everyone who posts. i have learned so much from you all. I want to get into installing christmas lights. where do i start.

thanks

neil
Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ck#post2490308

this is a list of materials that people said they would get if they could do it all over again... it is just a small example of the kind of information posted on this site to learn some, just takes a little searching...

Where to start? Start learning... get it down, try it on your own house... maybe start with just a few this year and plan on next year being your big investment blow out type deal... that is what I feel I will do this year... I will get the materials, do a few houses, do some advertising but not too much... learn the basics, get the kinks worked out and then hit it hard next christmas... this way the proper planning and research can be done... I have started a few businesses off the whim, hey I want to do this and the deadline to get it done is a month ago type deal... I think I might approach this one a little differently and save myself a lot of headache... sounds more business like... maybe I am learning...

That is my plan... do what you want to...
Old 09-30-2008, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey thanks for the help. I live on a pretty busy road and I wanted to start with my house. We have a christmas decor franchise by a LCO here. He did only a few houses. I wonder if he will be busy this year.

neil
Old 09-30-2008, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wish you luck neil- now is the time to postcard, get some material and get your hands busy with your home and close friends. If you get some yard signs out there, "Christmas Lights installed" with your phone number, you will get some calls. Get some experience under your belt this year with a few homes and you'll be light years ahead next year.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

David,

Thanks for the help. That is exactly what i plan on doing. My house my inlaws and my parents. I need a good holiday light supplier. Any suggestions?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd start with litesource and Holiday Bright Lights and go from there. I'd try to do a few customers houses as well this year if you can. A few signs would cost you a hundred bucks and would get you a few paying training jobs.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

David thanks. If i take a pic of my house think you could help me estimate the lighting needed?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Dave,
Would you not suggest insurance and a sales tax license in first year. Just wondering because I wouldnt want to be caught with pants down. Looking at a few more bucks then just yard signs and post cards. You know I just went through the HBL training and they didnt even touch on it. Im wondering how many people just go at this and dont CYA. Figuring the homeowners have insurance why would I need it type of thinking.
Kelly
Old 10-02-2008, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need insurance. First, if you fall and get hurt or an employee does, what the insurance covers is far more expensive than the premium. Second, if you damage a large window with your ladder, I bet that costs more than the premium. Third, having insurance gives you more credibility, which brings in more business. Talk to your insurance provider for more info on what you need.

As far as sales tax, you have to check with your state requirements. Here in Michigan, if it is a service, we dont have to charge tax.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Pretty much, but we sell dont rent. The labor isnt taxed. I have 1mil liabilty as a general appiance installer, and comp and all that. What do you carry?
Kelly