Register free!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Project Pictures From this Season

Some of our latest jobs
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2008, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice. What was the total for materials for the boulder steps ?

Creative Hardscapes
Old 10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plant Selection Issues!

The first pic with the boulder steps:

a) The steps look nice.

b) The joints in the flagstone path at the bottom of the steps are WAY TOO WIDE.

c) Not sure if you did the planting, but those Emerald Green Arbovitaes should NOT have been used. Those things grow tall and they grow wide. They appear to be too close to the A/C units, the units need room to breathe. 10 years from now they will prove to be poor judgement in selection.

The second pic:

a) Along the path you have (2) Hostas on each side. 1) Always plant in odd numbers, never plant in even nnumbers. 2) There is enough bed space that I would not have used HOSTAS. I would have filled all of that planting space with colorful perennials of one, solid color.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 10-02-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The first pic with the boulder steps:

a) The steps look nice. Wow Tanks

b) The joints in the flagstone path at the bottom of the steps are WAY TOO WIDE. Customer requested "informal" i think real small joints looks formal

c) Not sure if you did the planting, but those Emerald Green Arbovitaes should NOT have been used. Those things grow tall and they grow wide. They appear to be too close to the A/C units, the units need room to breathe. 10 years from now they will prove to be poor judgement in selection. Yep we planted everything. they are about 2' away from the ac unit. emerald are a skinnyer arb and will work great there. also with limited trimming every year they will work GREAT and help keep the condenser cool in the hot summer.

The second pic:

a) Along the path you have (2) Hostas on each side. 1) Always plant in odd numbers, never plant in even nnumbers. 2) There is enough bed space that I would not have used HOSTAS. I would have filled all of that planting space with colorful perennials of one, solid color. Im not for sure cos i didnt design this one but i belive there is 3 on each side just not shown in the picture.Also the customer requested hosta so thanks but this is what they wanted. The back yard also has limited sun so our choices are a little limited.

My sales lady/designer has her Degree in Landscape arc so i know she knows what she doing. Now sometimes she has to have a "balance" between whats right and what the homeowner wants but she draws (all by hand) SWEET landscapes.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

By the way hostas depending on variety will fill that space.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you post pictures and then reject the criticism? Why bother posting then?

-You should have used solid caps on you pillars.
-Radius joints around the fire pit are WAY to wide. Learn to cut your pavers to maintain interlock and so it looks good.
-Fire pit should have a mortared firebrick liner…..unless they never intend to use it.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superior L & L View Post

c) Not sure if you did the planting, but those Emerald Green Arbovitaes should NOT have been used. Those things grow tall and they grow wide. They appear to be too close to the A/C units, the units need room to breathe. 10 years from now they will prove to be poor judgement in selection. Yep we planted everything. they are about 2' away from the ac unit. emerald are a skinnyer arb and will work great there. also with limited trimming every year they will work GREAT and help keep the condenser cool in the hot summer.

Exactly And they,re not even mature yet! Outdoor units should ALWAYS have at least 30" inches around them. Sorry, but the emerads are growers.

The second pic:

a) Along the path you have (2) Hostas on each side. 1) Always plant in odd numbers, never plant in even nnumbers. 2) There is enough bed space that I would not have used HOSTAS. I would have filled all of that planting space with colorful perennials of one, solid color. Im not for sure cos i didnt design this one but i belive there is 3 on each side just not shown in the picture.Also the customer requested hosta so thanks but this is what they wanted. The back yard also has limited sun so our choices are a little limited.

Are you kidding??? There are probably at least 2000 perennials to choose from! thats the beauty of perennials! Dense shade?? no problem! full sun? no problem! dry soil?? no problem!

My sales lady/designer has her Degree in Landscape arc so i know she knows what she doing. Now sometimes she has to have a "balance" between whats right and what the homeowner wants but she draws (all by hand) SWEET landscapes.
Holy cow! I was looking at your profile and based on the pics I was thinking "they must primarily be a maintenance company...."

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captains Landscape View Post
Why do you post pictures and then reject the criticism? Why bother posting then?

-You should have used solid caps on you pillars.
-Radius joints around the fire pit are WAY to wide. Learn to cut your pavers to maintain interlock and so it looks good.
-Fire pit should have a mortared firebrick liner…..unless they never intend to use it.
I can handle criticism, thats how you learn. As long as it constructive and not just someones personnel choice.

Our local supply yard does sell solid limestone caps but there $113.00 each and they stain and mark easy. The cap we built $28.00. I could see us going though 6 of them too get four good ones. I also think it would look better but im a big believer in the KISS method.

The gaps in the paver was a little consern of ours. I am for sure not going to cut every brick in the first four to five rows. I didnt want to waste 2/3rds of a circle kit just to get the last few rows of the circle kit but next time i will.

never heard of a firebrickliner ??? tell me more please. I think this will be fine. Ive done many of them like this and never had problems with bricks cracking, But id like a guarantee.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You cant trim arb. to look nice. Other wise i liked your job.
Mike
Old 10-03-2008, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Good work, i love those steps. I dont see a problem with those emarld's, I use them all the time to do what you did with them. I also trim emarlds all the time, and have been triming them for a long time, so yes you can trim them to look good.