Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2008, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Postcard Advertising - Conversion Ratio

For those of you that advertise via mail (I assume postcards). What sort of conversion ratio do you get on that particular run of ads? (postcards sent to phone calls if potential customers)

If you dont mind, also, about how many postcards are you sending out this year? It thought I might start out with 1,000 or so.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Christmas lights tend to get a better response than landscape lights. I will send out 3 very targeted runs of 500-800 cards and get about 20-30 calls, and then 10-15 bids. I will close 3-5 jobs. The important thing is to target the best neighborhoods. If I sent 2000 cards to all the top and the next tier down, I'd have way more calls and probably double the bids, but probably only close 1 to 3 additional jobs.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
Christmas lights tend to get a better response than landscape lights. I will send out 3 very targeted runs of 500-800 cards and get about 20-30 calls, and then 10-15 bids. I will close 3-5 jobs. The important thing is to target the best neighborhoods. If I sent 2000 cards to all the top and the next tier down, I'd have way more calls and probably double the bids, but probably only close 1 to 3 additional jobs.
Right. Those are some promising numbers. I was looking to target about 500-1000 people.

Homeowners
Income of $150,000 - $250,000+

Since I moved from Houston to this small town I can already tell there is little or no competition down here. I think it might work out for the best.

Do you think my demographics will work out well in your opinion? Remember, this is Texas (and on the border of Mexico) and the cost of living is probably lower down here than most parts of the country.

Your advice is great, I'll take whatever else I can get from ya

Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I usually use quantumprint and use the google maps feature to mail to nice neighborhoods. using income only has it's limits. many folks in nice neighborhoods are pretty good at avoiding direct mail via demographics. mailing to addresses rather than people circumvents that. also, with demographics, anybody can fill out a magazine subscription survey once or twice, check off the "250,000 plus" income box, and get on those lists. most folks that make that much don't check off boxes.

as far as competition, I think it is way more important to have a good base of folks to advertise to. If you have a population of 30-50 thousand people, Your market for Christmas lights ( top 1% ) is actually pretty small, 300-500 folks, plus maybe 100 business's or so. I've had tons of competition come and go, and I am very glad to have a decent population of 300,000 plus folks in 2 counties to try and sell to.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great, Thanks for the info. I'll check all that out.

Looking at my area's population it looks like our metropolitan area here is about 350,000 people, which is a big drop from 5.6 million in the Houston area lol.

I'll see what I can whip up and I'll see how quantum works out for me.

Thanks again
Old 10-22-2008, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Another point is how well your direct mail piece is designed will greatly affect your conversion ratio. You need to have a well designed piece with a solid offer/benift targetted to the neighborhood you are mailing to.

Also, target the most affluent neighborhoods first and work your way down. mail by address not name as david said.

As for me I'll be doing a total of 5000 post cards this year, split into two different mailings, this is inadditon to existing customer letters, signs, door hangers and other marketing.