Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2002, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You need to knock on a couple doors around dinnertime and lay it out..."I'm here to pick up a check" if you want to be a nice guy call em from outside the door and tell em you'll be there in a minute.

Then when you return home drop the "kiss-off" letter in the mail...
Old 02-07-2002, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for all your replies. those are great letters, and i may even take lawnguys advice and pay them a visit. maybe i should just dump two loads of leaves in their driveway, since thats what i took out this fall .
Old 02-07-2002, 03:17 PM
Banned

Call this guy, your problems are solved.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another option

Saw a show last fall of a guy who does custom chroming and such for Harleys. Got tired of chasing people for $. Got a tattoo that says "Pay up Sucker $$$" on his palm.
You may want to give this a try (especially if you're a large man - ahh yes, the intimidation factor)
Bob
Old 02-08-2002, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just got fired by a client like this. She hadn't paid a bill in the month it was due in over a year. I send out bills on the 1st, if they aren't paid by the 15th, I call. Some are chronic late payers, but they do pay, so I leave them alone. This lady had an over 60 and hadn't returned my calls. She claimed to have had a death in the family.

OK, so when the check comes, and this happens again, I stop the service until the bill is paid. This happened 3 more times this past year and she gets mad because I did her lawn when it was convenient for me, not when she wanted it cut. and I didn't do cleanups to her standards, and put other clients ahead of her. I don't like to be fired, but sometimes it's for the best. She did call to get a balance on her account, and with the letter came a check. I guess I should have put prompt paying clients ahead of her. Sure thing, I'll get right on that!

This was a bad year for cash people letting 2 cuts go by and then not having the money to pay. 3 or 4 I can think of like that.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA