Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2008, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

mowing year round

i am live in ky and mow from late march to early november just wondering how many of you guys mow year round and where your from and do you mow weekly or bi weekly? thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Around here the mowing season starts around mid april and ends anywhere from mid to late october.

I know the lco's in Florida mow all darn season long...They probably go from weekly to bi-weekly cuts from november to around march..there is already a thread about this just recently under Florida.

I know I wouldn't want to mow all season long...thank you snow...

Last edited by MileHigh; 10-04-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I mow in south Florida. One thing you can count on is the grass growing. Almost all lawn companies here charge monthly. I like knowing that my income is the same during the winter as it is during the summer. What really changes October through Feb. is the amount of time you spend on each lawn. Growing season - 40 -45 hours per week Oct through Feb - 20-30 hours per week.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I live and Work in San Diego county, I mow all year long. Thats why i'm in this kind of work, I'm allways working. The fescue stays green and grows all year out here.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I live in the south of England in the United Kingdom, so it's not really very relevant to your part of the world, but I can usually count on at least one of my customers asking me to mow their lawns before Christmas and many times I've been out mowing in January if the weather stays mild. The winters here do seem milder these days - climate change I guess. The golden rule if mowing in the winter is not to cut too low, otherwise the grass gets damaged if there is frost soon after.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:45 AM

We start here in SC around March 10th with mowing winter weeds and end sometime in November. Just depends on the rain and when the chilly temps arrive. Leaf season ends January 10th. Then its time to hibernate I wouldn't want to be mowing out in the colder months anyway
Old 10-05-2008, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where I am in Kansas, our season is the same length as KY, but we may or may not get several measurable snowfalls in the winter.

If the grass isn't growing, and the leaves are cleaned up, there's really nothing to "mow" in Jan, Feb, or the beginning of March. December is always a crap-shoot and depends on when our first snow/ice storm comes. I've been out many years between Christmas and New Years doing a final "clean-up" for the pickey old folks. But that's maybe 5% of the customer base. Most are happy to not have to pay the lawn guy all winter, lol.

I see a couple "high end" commercial properties around here that get mowed maybe once a month in the winter, just to keep the turf vacuumed and neat. Heck, I always think I'll do mine like that too, but my lawn tends to get flattened out over winter from all the traffic I put on it with my Christmas display.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We mow all year long! Weekly April - Oct & Bi-weekly Nov - March. The monthly price stays the same through summer and winter. Thats why most northern people think Southern LCO's are low ballers because of what we will charge a month on a yard they would get $20 to $30 more a month for but they don't mow it all year long like we do. We mow our accounts year round, but only have to mow it twice a month in the winter season and get paid full price for 5-6 months depending on temperature.. It's like free money, we tool around 2 weeks out of the month making extra cash on top of our regular income or take a paid vacation
Old 10-05-2008, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

^^^^hope none of your customers read that^^^LOL
Old 10-05-2008, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScape View Post
^^^^hope none of your customers read that^^^LOL
Tru!!!!!