Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2008, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Just bought a Lastec 73" 35hp Vangaurd

I just took the plunge and bought a Lastec 73" with the 35HP Vangaurd big block . I bought off their website earlier this week during their fire sale. I think I did ok on it, it lists in the 15K range and I got it for $9,035. That is with the foot controls (love that idea), mulch kit, free set of high lift blades, and a extra oil filter.
My biggest pet peeve is to scalp a customers yard. It ticks me off more than the customer. I hope this machine will increase my productivity with its deck size and HP while eliminating scalping completely.
I'll let everyone know how it performs. Does anybody out there have any long term experience with these machines? I'm looking for a heads up on any area I need to keep an eye on.

I also need a 7x18 or 8.5x18 enclosed trailer if anybody knows of one to point me to, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2008, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Congrats! Sounds like you got a great deal. Keep us informed on the cut, I am wondering how these do on short grasses like Bermuda.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was looking at one of these machines earlier in the year but what turned me away was that it only went 10 mph. I wish they went faster because I need that productivity. I love the idea of having the productivity of a 72" deck but no scalping issues. I don't see why they couldn't put 21cc pumps on it to give it more ground speed. I went with an Exmark XS and couldn't be more happy. I'm sure if I EVER get a demo of a Lastec that I would not be as happy with the XS.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I was dissapointed in the gorund speed too. I think it has 18cc pumps on it, and if I'm not mistaken they are mounted tandem. I could probably put bigger ones on in the future. I'm used to that speed though, my 52" Dixon Kodiak only does 9mph. Most of the time I can actually only mow at about 7mph so my reaction time is good for potential scalp areas. If I can mow at full speed with this thing and never scalp I think I will be on cloud 9.
I've talked to several hustler and Dixie Chopper owners and they pretty much all say the same thing. They can only mow in the 10mph range (with some scalping). The only time they can realy open up those pumps and kick it up to 15mph is when they are spreading around the wind rows of grass with their decks raised up. Most of them say the 15mph will beat you to death anyway.
I reeeeeally wanted a Walker with all the goodies but refuse to buy a mower (especially that much) that only has a ground speed of 5mph. I know they have an attachment to kick it up to 6.5, but that isn't going to cut it. (pun intended).

Ill let everyone know how it does. I have about 3 to mow tomorrow and my new toy should come in on the Fed-Ex truck at 8am.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let us know about the scalping? I have never operated a 70"+ deck, but I hear many LCO dont like them because of the "scalping" issues. Congrats on your new toy.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Best weedeater POWER TO PRICE RATIO

Does anyone know what the best weedeater is?

I want enough power to cut a car in half, but I don't want to take out a second mortgage to buy it or suspend it from a crane while using it.

I've been ooogling over the Stihl FS250R. It has a 40cc 2 stroke and weighs 13 lbs.

Does anyone have one for sale?????

Brian
Old 10-05-2008, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainerboy View Post

I've been ooogling over the Stihl FS250R. It has a 40cc 2 stroke and weighs 13 lbs.
In the trimmer world, thats a big trimmer! If you do a lot of trimming, that 13lbs will feel like 50lbs at the end of the day.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainerboy View Post
Does anyone know what the best weedeater is?

I want enough power to cut a car in half, but I don't want to take out a second mortgage to buy it or suspend it from a crane while using it.

Does anyone have one for sale?????

Brian
Old 10-05-2008, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I know it was off topic. The original thread was mine. I was trying to post a completly new thread about the weed eater but accidentally tacked it on to this thread. I reposted it by itself since then.
I'm a newby here....still trying to learn the ins & outs

Brian
Old 10-05-2008, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

You might check the website for waynoka (ok) under the message board I seen a used enclosed.It was less that 1 year old.

kane

Tags
enclosed , lastec , scalping , trailer