Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2002, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

It Wants To Start But...

Hello,

Hi guys I got a problem, My work truck is a 92 S-10 2.8L V6,with 118,500 miles. Its sittin in front of my house, it sounds like it wants to start but wont. It tryin to turn over but its just makin a clickin sound ( maybe a starter ?). It happen to me about a week ago, it wouldnt start, but the next day i got in it, and it turned over on the 1st try. Has any one had this problem or can help me... Thanks All..
Old 02-07-2002, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it just clicks one time when you turn the key it is most likely the starter going bad. what to do is have someone help you. Have them turn the key to the crank position several times while you Lightly tap the starter motor with the wooden handle of a hammer. If it then cranks you know for sure its the starter. often they will crank when you tap on them in the early stages of failure.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Well its crankin alot, like it really wants to turn over. A friend told me it might be the distributer cap & rotot . It could have moistur in it, but who no's
Old 02-07-2002, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I thought it wouldnt crank at all. You are correct in thinking the cap may be wet.It may have moisture in the cap as you said. You can unbolt the 2 screws holding the cap down they are usually a phillips head screw or 5.5 millimeter. Mark the wire positions with masking tape and label them. Lift the cap up and see if it looks like it has little droplets in it near the towers. Some times the coil wire will go bad it may be rubbed against a bracket and be shorted out if you can have someone crank it while you lok along the wire to see if you see arcing.Don't touch the wire when cranking because if it is bad you'll find out for sure.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing happened to me last year I would stop at a lawn mow and blow hop in the truck click click click......... I was told it was the starter, so I took it in and got the starter changed out cost me $250. It still did it I finally bought a new battery, problem solved. Owell at least I wont have to worry about the starter. Its a 1991 GMC Sonoma
Old 02-08-2002, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks so far people...
Old 02-11-2002, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Well Its Fixed.... I had a major tune up done & ignition coil box fixed.. Thanks