Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2008, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Used ZTR Recommendations

I just started my own lawn service late this season and have done really well considering. I would like to purchase a good but inexpensive ZTR next season. Any of you veterans have any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just don't complain when you go give estimates and the customers all want the same thing,
cheap but good, not expensive but very reliable and charges like half what everyone else
does yet gives us real quality work.

Once you're hip with that strategy, finding a reliable mower for next to nothing shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can you define inexpensive ZTR? Or maybe post you budget for the mower. It's a pretty broad question. What do you want to spend?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the size properties you maintain is crucial to this thread as well. do you need a 36" phazer or a 72" dixie chopper?....
Old 10-07-2008, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 37" Toro WB now, I would guess somewhere around a 48-52". As far as inexpensive...I don't want to spend 10K, but I know that a lot of times you get what you pay for.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on your budget, you can probably run up on some great deals around the upcoming holidays. Don't be afraid to spend some hard-earned money on a good used commercial machine. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say buy the best, Toro, Exmark, and Scag only worry about what your monthly payment will be, not over all price of mower. Think into the future and how much $ this mower will make you. Bad Boy is the lowest priced commercial mower. I own all of the above. Check e-bay for new and nice used machines.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You aren't too far away... A friend of mine has a 50" Dixon ZTR for sale, decent shape other than needing some bearings on the front casters. It's listed on here as well as craigslist.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchiodo3 View Post
Bad Boy is the lowest priced commercial mower.
My neighbor and "mentor" bought a new Bad Boy with the 26hp Kaw and it started smoking right after he got it home. When he talked to the dealer, they shrugged it off. To make a long story short, he's still fighting with them to fix the engine, and we are disappointed in Bad Boy for not taking care of the problem. Apparently, it is a known problem with Kaw engines. I do have a Toro push mower that I purchased years ago and it still works great! I'm just not sure of some of the other brands.

Here is the link to his thread about the Bad Boy.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=247474
Old 10-08-2008, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Bad Boy 26 Kaw smoked when I started it also. It turned out to be a piece of plastic that had broken off and became lodged in the choke area. It prevented the choke from fully opening. The dealer replaced cover and the mower runs great. No matter what mower you buy, there is always the chance something may be wrong or go wrong with mower. That's the nature of the business. You will find Kaw engines on just about all lawn mowers today.